Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: IM bearing troubles  (Read 4384 times)

May 27, 2009, 07:14:34 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

IM bearing troubles
« on: May 27, 2009, 07:14:34 pm »
So I decided I'd put a new belt side bearing in, clevite SH-1209 S.

First, I made sure the new bearing would fit on the shaft.

Then I pressed the new one in but the shaft wouldn't go into it.
I tried tapping it in a bit but gave up and pulled the shaft back out and the bearing came with it! aarrrg!! >:(
Now the new bearing won't even fit onto the shaft, I can't figure out what's wrong. Thanks

'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #1May 27, 2009, 07:18:19 pm

rallydiesel

• Veteran

Re: IM bearing troubles
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 07:18:19 pm »
Some IM bearings need to be reamed to fit the shaft. Looks like you got that kind. Happened to me too, sucks.  >:(
2006 Jetta TDI - gtb1749v, Malone 2, Frank's Titan 2 cam, VR6 clutch....
1991 Jetta TD - sold :(
2001 Golf TDI - Son's
1981 Rabbit - BEW tdi swap project

"ONCE YOU GO CLACK, YOU NEVER GO BACK"

Reply #2May 27, 2009, 07:24:30 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 07:24:30 pm »
Yeah but clevite was one of the brands that doesn't need reaming, and it fit on the shaft a bit loose before I installed it in the block.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.

Reply #3May 28, 2009, 01:52:48 am

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 01:52:48 am »
I used a 1 inch pipe cap ground to fit the bearing with lots of tape and a 6 inch pipe screwed into the end and (cringe) pounded it in.
It went in fairly easy, but it went in slightly too far and was a little crooked, like one side went in a bit farther than the other which I straightened easily.
The thing I don't understand is why it stuck to the IM shaft hard enough to come out with it.

So what are my options? New bearing probably? Now it won't even fit onto the bearing surface of the shaft at all >:(

Reply #4May 28, 2009, 05:30:45 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 05:30:45 pm »
Is it necessary to pull the oil pan?

I have read that other thread but I can't tell if your putting the bearings in from the inside or outside of the case.

I'm off to find a new bearing I guess.

Thanks a lot Andrew :)

Reply #5June 04, 2009, 06:10:21 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 06:10:21 pm »
Well I tried again, it went in pretty good and I was happy, but the shaft still won't fit. This time I used durabonds.

I'm in the process of "modifying" the bearing to fit, sandpaper and scotchbrite ::).

Since the turbo is pretty much done I want to go drive it and quit messing with this stupid bearing.

Reply #6June 04, 2009, 07:58:54 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 07:58:54 pm »
Just curious if you tapped it in again or if you pulled it in.

Andrew

I'm starting to get really embarrassed :-[

You must know something about these, I er tapped it in again.

I did it VERY lightly, little tiny taps. It's not a tapered bore in the block is it? So the bearing would have to be installed from the inside?

Anyways, I'm sanding the bearing little by little and test fitting the shaft often, right now it goes in all the way but is tight so I can barely turn it by hand.

How hard is normal to turn the shaft with new bearings? Thanks

Reply #7June 04, 2009, 10:43:10 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 10:43:10 pm »
Well, I got it together, not sure what was binding but with the sprocket on the IM I can turn it with my hands. Now I just have to finish the t-belt job and I can "permanently" install the turbo and everything else involved ;D.

Reply #8June 05, 2009, 02:41:07 am

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 02:41:07 am »
I was asking more for my own edification.  I've never had one bind from pulling it in and so was curious.  No biggie.  If you got it spinning, I bet it will be fine.

Andrew

How many have you done?

I've seen the pics of your setup, definitely would be better than a pipe cap.
I think one problem I had was the surface that actually pushes on the bearing wasn't straight so I think it pushed crooked, I filed on it and got it lots better than it was for the first try.

I was worried if I tried pulling it in with a nonperfectly centered puller I wouldn't be able to tell if something was wrong and really screw it up.

Thanks for the peace of mind :D.

Reply #9June 05, 2009, 10:20:37 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 10:20:37 pm »
It runs :o

Reply #10June 06, 2009, 12:40:59 am

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 12:40:59 am »
I haven't got it up to temp yet so not sure, also since I've never ran it with the turbo 'till now I expect the oil pressure to go down some regardless of the new bearing.

I tried posting a pic of the old bearing but photobucket wouldn't work >:(

EDIT: Here's a pic of the old bearing, the two little notches were the only damage ::).

« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 12:49:01 am by rabbitman »

Fixmyvw.com