Author Topic: Whoops!  (Read 2136 times)

September 05, 2005, 07:44:17 pm

watsongs

• Junior

Whoops!
« on: September 05, 2005, 07:44:17 pm »
OK, so I put the head back on & did the torquing of the head bolts and just now realized that I can't get the idler pulley back on the head while it's attached.  Can I take the head off & slip the pulley back on, reusing the same head gasket?  I hasn't run yet, it's been sitting for about three weeks with the head bolts at the second round of tensioning.  Any thoughts?  I'm tempted to do it; if the gasket leaks, I can then do another one later...

Greg Watson
'79 Rabbit, 1.5 liters of fun...
If they can get you to ask the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers...

Reply #1September 05, 2005, 07:46:31 pm

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

Whoops!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 07:46:31 pm »
1.9L serpentine belt tensioner? or timing belt tensioner? What pulley?
If it's the T-belt tensioner, maybe you could thread it out of the head, then thread it back in with the pulley on. or loosen the engine mounts and raise the engine.
I repair, maintain and modify VW's and BMW's.
Good work done at affordable rates. Welding and fabricating, too.
Performance Diesel Injection's Super Pump: gotta have one!

Reply #2September 05, 2005, 08:05:22 pm

watsongs

• Junior

Whoops!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 08:05:22 pm »
It's a 1.5 timing belt tensioner bolt.  The wheel well is only about an inch from the end of the belt - there's no way to unthread and put it back in.

Greg
Greg Watson
If they can get you to ask the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers...

Reply #3September 05, 2005, 08:18:11 pm

QuickTD

• Veteran

Whoops!
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 08:18:11 pm »
Use 2 nuts tightened together on the idler stud to unscrew it, put the idler in place, then screw the stud back in.

If you just need a fraction of an inch, use a scissors jack between the frame rail and the block to push the engine to the left a little bit. You can get 1/2 an inch easily enough.

If you lift the head you'll need a new gasket, they cannot be reused.

Reply #4September 05, 2005, 08:47:03 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
Whoops!
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 08:47:03 pm »
Like Dr. Diesel says, if you've torqued the headgasket, don't disturb it unless you need to.  Otherwise you should replace it with a new one.

You can get extra clearance to slip the timingtiming belt tensioner onto its stud by putting a floor jack under the passenger side of the oil pan and jacking the motor up.  The passenger motor mount has a little bit of flexibility, but to avoid risking tearing it, jack the motor up enough just to take the load off it (it will probably go up by about 1/4"-1/2") then remove the motor mount to chassis bolt, and then you can keep jacking to lift the engine as high as is needed.
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #5September 05, 2005, 11:23:30 pm

watsongs

• Junior

Whoops!
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005, 11:23:30 pm »
I couldn't find another nut to double-nut the stud (stores all closed for the holiday), so I'll try doing just the stud first, if that doesn't work I'll try jacking up the engine.  Thanks for the ideas -

Greg
Greg Watson

Fixmyvw.com