Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: What's the diff between us an VWDieselParts.com?  (Read 4066 times)

April 19, 2009, 07:43:18 am

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
What's the diff between us an VWDieselParts.com?
« on: April 19, 2009, 07:43:18 am »
What's the diff between us and the VWDieselParts.com forum?

http://www.vwdieselparts.com/forum/index.php

I sometimes see really neat posts on there that i think should be here ;)

just like this post

http://www.vwdieselparts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8173

that was posted as a reply in this forum on someone's [on THIS forum] issue with belt squeal.

as seen here...

Quote from: "theman53"
http://www.vwdieselparts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8173&highlight=belt+tensioner

check out that link...I am doing that with my new turbo engine as soon as it is in. I started it already with the N/A. I replaced the bearing, retightened, sanded, etc and the thing would never stop squeeling. I had everything off the front of the engine put it all back on after inspecting and cleaning and it still did it....right now I have a metal piece with 2 small roller bearings on one end and a hole in the other just like the guy above. I think I even posted in that thread a couple of times when I started to make that piece.

We should recruit some users  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

Ed
Blacked out mk2 AAZ Jetta RIP. You are missed.
White 1999.5 ALH Golf 2dr. Low & wide. Rammed off the road RIP.
Blue 2009 CR140 Jetta CBEA/CJAA. Malone stage 2. EGR/DPF/Exhaust-valve deletes. 2.5" open exhaust. ADP Turbo swap. 1-stage nitrous kit. THROWN ROD

Reply #1April 19, 2009, 12:10:42 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 12:10:42 pm »
I go there very rarely. It sometimes has some information that is useful, but it seems to not be as often as the stuff here IMO. Vince, andrew and a couple others are over there already, so they have some of the best already. My main thing is the guy that runs it, Jack. I won't run him down here, but I just don't care for the guy. He also will destroy your post if you link to parts that aren't his, or whoever the mod is will do it per his rules. It is in the rules of the forum so I can't say it is dumb or wrong, and they are right there to read, so you can't get butt hurt over it. I just want to help if I post and sometimes that means that you can get the same thing somewhere else for less money. That is another reason why I would rather be here. Heck one time on here Giles even told everybody what he did for the power increases in his pumps. He didn't give the specs to do it, but still he gave the information of less initial and more advance overall/faster so you could try to do it on your own. You don't have that over there and if you do I haven't seen it like it is here. To each his own I guess.

Reply #2April 19, 2009, 02:20:21 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 02:20:21 pm »
Both forums are good, but yeah, the "no talking about parts sources other than Jack" on the other forum kinda knocks things down a bit.

This forum = More power
Other forum = More mileage

Just a bit of a different focus between the two... I think a lot of us check/post on both forums.
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #3April 19, 2009, 03:08:28 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 03:08:28 pm »
Ahh. thanks fellas.

Boycotting other sellers is kinda funny actually :P I think it shows weakness in your company. Like you have something to be afraid of or that you need to shelter your minions from the truth that may harm them! If a part is cheaper, perhaps it is lesser quality than yours? If it is higher quality than yours, perhaps you get what you pay for  :roll:
Ed
Blacked out mk2 AAZ Jetta RIP. You are missed.
White 1999.5 ALH Golf 2dr. Low & wide. Rammed off the road RIP.
Blue 2009 CR140 Jetta CBEA/CJAA. Malone stage 2. EGR/DPF/Exhaust-valve deletes. 2.5" open exhaust. ADP Turbo swap. 1-stage nitrous kit. THROWN ROD

Reply #4April 20, 2009, 01:57:33 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 01:57:33 am »
vwdieselparts.com has always been used to get them running and keep them running,...
 sometimes that requires some modding,.. and that was a nice A2 upgrade you linked to.
 You can help others with places to buy parts and competitor's info on vwdieselparts.com, any time you want,..
 just have to send a PM instead of posting it on the forum.

If I had a small family owned business and sponsored a forum, why would I use it as a place for the large autoparts houses,
 that I compete with,
 to advertise?
 Doesn't seem like weakness from here, more like common sense.
 I can't think of any store sponsored forums that uses it to advertise their competitors, can you?
 Parts houses can be found anywhere,... else :) .

Alot of off topic stuff gets posted in the IDI performance enhancement fora,   but I still see this site as more for performance info.

We should recruit some users    

What? this site doesn't get enough traffic :) ? Doesn't share enough info?
I think most users know about both sites, we link to or send them over here for info regularly.
Great info on both sites and they each have their place.
I think of them as "sister sites".
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #5April 20, 2009, 03:55:01 am

Op-Ivy

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 03:55:01 am »
Fat is right. If you look at it from Jack's perspective, he pays for the bandwidth that runs the forum. The forum isn't necessarily there for people to just use at their will, it's also for him to gain customers.

Just like in real life, I don't think anyone on the internet provides a service for free without wanting something in return.

I think it's great that we have both communities at our fingertips. I use both!
1990 TD Jetta - 490,000Km

Reply #6April 20, 2009, 06:16:09 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 06:16:09 pm »
I also use both, seems like one could gather more info that way. Also, if everyone from the other vw forums came over here we'd just have another vortex, lots of good info but tons of useless stuff to. I never go to the 'tex simply because I don't have the time to try to find anything usefull amid all the nonsence.
Here, with a little searching one can usually find what they need, or ask and find out that way.

I do wish fspGTD,DVST8R and 935racer to name a few, were still posting though. :(  I've learned a ton just from reading their old posts.

I just looked at the memberlist, 2757 users never posted, I'm sure most of 'em are bots though.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #7April 20, 2009, 09:59:31 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 09:59:31 pm »
Yeah, I guess that you could help one person by PM ing them. This site though you can search for the answers that have been posted(IF you know how to use the search :D). Plus, I have called Jack on the phone and just consider him abrasive, I won't go into detail, but the guy has rubbed me the wrong way in the 3-4 conversations we have had. I still go to his site, but it is a 20-1 ratio at least. When I go to that forum I don't start fights or say how much better one is over the other, just as I don't here, it is just my preference to come here. Nothing wrong with either site it is just my opinion that I like this one alot better.

That being said  If I were Jack I would probably do the same thing or charge a $10/year fee to be a member....or have a free site and ban the other vendors and a paid member side that you could post whatever. Just another one of my crazy ideas.