Author Topic: '81 'Rocco?  (Read 3892 times)

April 18, 2009, 06:54:13 am

Patrick

• Veteran

'81 'Rocco?
« on: April 18, 2009, 06:54:13 am »
Going to look at one this morning.  Been looking for something small, light, and cheap to put an AAZ in that's taking up space here. Long time since I had much to do with a mk1 car, and never had anything to do with a rocco. this car is supposed to be a scirrocco "S" model?

What do I look for as in standard problem spots?

Reply #1April 18, 2009, 09:43:18 am

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
'81 'Rocco?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 09:43:18 am »
Is this Shawn's green one?
Tyler

Reply #2April 18, 2009, 09:57:58 am

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

'81 'Rocco?
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 09:57:58 am »
Well, rust is going to be the biggest concern.  Check the strut towers in the front, from the inside if possible.  Also check at the front of the inner fender, that is also a common rust spot.  Check the rockers, both underneath the car and on top of the rockers under the door sill.  The rear axle mounting points are also prone to rust.  While you are under there, check the rear axle closely as some of them were flawed and can crack where the "control arm" that the stub axle mounts on meets the horizontal beam.  Check the cowl area below the windshield for rust, that's a bad spot, and if it's really bad, it can leak water on the fuse panel.  Chances are, the door seals, window scrapers, etc.. are all toast, there are replacements available, but look to spend about $1200 for a complete set of seals.   If it's really an 'S model, it should have the Zender front airdam and aluminum-look dash and sport seats.

Oh, and be SURE to check the front crossmember, that the radiator sits on and the front engine mount bolts to.  They are often cracked there- it's repairable but it is also evidence that the car has been run pretty hard and chances are it might have front frame damage.

Otherwise, there is probably a %90 chance that the suspension will need a complete make-over- control arm bushings, ball joints, tie rods, strut mounts, etc... pretty common for A1's really.  But that's cheap and easy stuff compared to body work.

Dont let any of that deter you though.  If the car is overall solid and the price is right, snatch it up and save it.

Brendan
81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green

Reply #3April 18, 2009, 07:42:27 pm

Patrick

• Veteran

'81 'Rocco?
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 07:42:27 pm »
Not the green one, the car is listed on London Kijiji and the Vortex, ad says two rocco's for 1600.
78 is already sold.
'81 needs a lot of work, some inner fender work, but the strut towers are good. Rockers are tough. Car was buried in a garage, couldn't get much farther back.
Comes with LOTS of parts. 1 pair of NEW front fenders, 2 rust free doors, two windshields, loads of stuff. Odometer only shows about 150,000 km. Car is savable, but more work than I want right now. Decent guy with lots of Volkswagen toys, including an awesome 16 valve early rabbit, more of a gasser guy though.

http://london.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-Volkswagen-two-volkswagen-MK1-scirocco-W0QQAdIdZ119868342

Reply #4April 18, 2009, 07:50:46 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
'81 'Rocco?
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 07:50:46 pm »
It's a good thing I don't have any extra money or I'd have another project I don't need in the driveway

Hopefully someone gets it and saves it
Tyler

Reply #5April 19, 2009, 07:50:31 am

Patrick

• Veteran

'81 'Rocco?
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 07:50:31 am »
If I had shop space it would probably be here now......... Like I said, needs more work than I want to do. THe one in the picture is NOT the one he has left.