Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: AMC heads same as Kolbenschmidt?  (Read 2708 times)

April 15, 2009, 02:15:26 pm

wil892

• Junior

AMC heads same as Kolbenschmidt?
« on: April 15, 2009, 02:15:26 pm »
Hi

I had a post recently about the cracks in the prechambers on my 1991 Golf GTD. Trying to locate some new ones drove me crazy so I've just bought a new head.
The casting is a new AMC one but it has been proffessionally built using all new OEM valvetrain parts so none of the rubbish AMC valves.

The builder said that AMC is part of kolbenschmidt and they were all the same quality but with different stamps on them.
Having just searched there are mixed reviews and opinions of these heads possibly because the ones in the US are from a different manufacturer?

However does anyone have any real evidence to prove if the AMC head will crap out after 20,000 miles. I would like it to go 100,000 with the same efficency of an OEM one, is this feasable or are they just cheap and have poor sealing and metal properties?

Thanks
Will

1991 Golf MK2 GTD

Reply #1April 15, 2009, 05:30:11 pm

Baxter

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 05:30:11 pm »
They are completely different castings from my experience.
AMC ones do look cheaper, the threads aren't as tidy as the KS ones.
The ports aren't as tidy on the AMC either, room for improvement.
AMC are Spanish.
The KS ones look more OE than any of the others, but saying that, where the KS logo is stamped/cast it looks like from the cat whoever is making them could be branding them up for a few different people.
KS, Elring, peirburg, Wahler and AMC have the same UK distributor, that maybe where the comments came from.

Reply #2April 15, 2009, 05:31:50 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 05:31:50 pm »
i bought a car that had one, it ran away, i pulled the head, all looked good.  i reringed it and put the head back on, then i ran it for atleast 20,000 miles with no issues, and this is with a very low geared auto trans.  then i sold it.
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Fixmyvw.com