Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Pump bushing removal advice needed  (Read 2111 times)

March 29, 2009, 01:16:10 am

Rabbit TD

• Veteran

Pump bushing removal advice needed
« on: March 29, 2009, 01:16:10 am »
Can the pump bushings be driven out using a socket&extension tapping one into the other till they are both free.  I just put a 14 m/m 1/4 socket against one of the bushings and it looks like it will work but is there an easier way, it's late at night here and I didn't feel like getting to deep into it right now this late .  I have an old pump here to play with getting used to how everything goes and what to look for till the bushings get here for the T/D pump, I already have the seals.

Reply #1March 29, 2009, 09:37:40 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 09:37:40 am »
I would think so especially if you mean the shatft busing on top of the pump. If you mean the shaft bushing where the gear is then you would have to have the governor out to do that. So you probably mean the top and that will work as that is how I did it...there is probably a better/bentley way but I don't know that one.

Reply #2March 29, 2009, 09:47:11 am

rallydiesel

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 09:47:11 am »
I think he means the drive shaft bushings. They may be able to be tapped out but I doubt it. I think you will have to get them pressed out.
2006 Jetta TDI - gtb1749v, Malone 2, Frank's Titan 2 cam, VR6 clutch....
1991 Jetta TD - sold :(
2001 Golf TDI - Son's
1981 Rabbit - BEW tdi swap project

"ONCE YOU GO CLACK, YOU NEVER GO BACK"

Reply #3March 29, 2009, 05:41:09 pm

Op-Ivy

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 05:41:09 pm »
I was able to easily tap them out and tap the new ones in. IIRC there is a ridge in the middle between the two bushings that won't let them both go out the same way. You have to tap one out at a time using a screwdriver. I can't remember what I used but I do know that it is possible.
1990 TD Jetta - 490,000Km

Reply #4March 29, 2009, 05:42:37 pm

rallydiesel

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 05:42:37 pm »
Good to know. I will be putting new bushings in a pump I've got and reaming them pretty soon.
2006 Jetta TDI - gtb1749v, Malone 2, Frank's Titan 2 cam, VR6 clutch....
1991 Jetta TD - sold :(
2001 Golf TDI - Son's
1981 Rabbit - BEW tdi swap project

"ONCE YOU GO CLACK, YOU NEVER GO BACK"

Reply #5March 29, 2009, 08:18:36 pm

Rabbit TD

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 08:18:36 pm »
Quote from: "rallydiesel"
I think he means the drive shaft bushings. They may be able to be tapped out but I doubt it. I think you will have to get them pressed out.

I'm sorry, yes I did mean the mainshaft bushings and I have an old pump here to experiment with first and possible spare parts

Reply #6March 31, 2009, 12:29:27 am

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 12:29:27 am »
I used a bolt and washers and a nut and pressed 'em out, IIRC I pushed them out the same way. Pushing one out with the other. Worked ok.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #7March 31, 2009, 03:09:17 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 03:09:17 am »
I started an injection pump teardown thread,
 "journey to the bottom of the pump"
 over on vwdieselparts.com
 and a bosch injection pump tech from Zips Diesel,.. I think it was in St. Cloud, MN
 told us the bushing were supposed to be pushed away from the center,.. the inside one goes inward and the outside one gets pushed outward.

The area between them is supposed to be raised and helps hold them in place.
 Pushing them both through the same way was said to remove metal from this center area.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #8March 31, 2009, 08:02:04 am

Giles@PerformanceDiesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Junior

• http://www.performancediesel.ca
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 08:02:04 am »
Hey Guys,

The easiest way to change the bushings is to position the housing driveshaft seal up in the press and push both bushings out at the same time into the housing. The bore for the bushings does not have a raised section in the center. Make sure to use red loctight to install the new bushings. The align ream new bushings to 17mm driveshaft size.

Hope this clears everything up for you guys.
Glad to be of help

Giles

Reply #9April 01, 2009, 04:19:01 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 04:19:01 pm »
Heed.....Giles has spoken. :P

Hey Guys,

The easiest way to change the bushings is to position the housing driveshaft seal up in the press and push both bushings out at the same time into the housing. The bore for the bushings does not have a raised section in the center. Make sure to use red loctight to install the new bushings. The align ream new bushings to 17mm driveshaft size.

Glad to be of help

Giles

Thanks Giles, I was afraid I'd broke something pushing 'em out the same way.
Good idea on the loctite, I would never have thought of it. :D
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #10April 01, 2009, 08:30:33 pm

Rabbit TD

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 08:30:33 pm »
Quote from: "Giles@PerformanceDiesel"
Hey Guys,

Glad to be of help

Giles

Yes, thanks very much for the answer and I didn't think about the Loctight either.  Are the originals Loctighted in there also?

Fixmyvw.com