Author Topic: hey everyone, im new here and just bought a diesel truck!  (Read 3782 times)

August 24, 2005, 11:39:18 am

Master ACiD

• Veteran

hey everyone, im new here and just bought a diesel truck!
« on: August 24, 2005, 11:39:18 am »
im mostly a mazda guy but sence mazda diesels are so hard to find and nearly impossible to find help with, espically parts for them, i thought i would give vw a try. with the rising gas prices buting a diesel rabbit truck will pay off within a year atleast, espically when alternative fueling! plus i have awalys wanted a diesel like my dads. he owns a restored rabbit truck with a turbo diesel engine conversion.

i am very new to vw diesels, although my dad has had them for probably 30 years so he is helping me out but somtimes i think his methods are not the best! they certainly work but he seems to be way over cautous about some mundaine things. such is a father sun relationship i guess.

i bought a rabbit pickup truck with 110,000 miles on it from a used car lot for $100. it didnt run so we brought it home and got it running. turned out to have a glow plug problem.  on my very first trip around the neighbor hood i broke the timing belt clean in half and we think i bent the valves. i put a new timing belt on and it runs so very very bad.
im breaking for lunch riht now but after this is over im going to finish pulling the head to see what damage was done. hopefully nothing is damaged too bad but my dad has a couple spare engines for parts so maybe we can put somthing together.
wish me luck.

Reply #1August 24, 2005, 12:19:09 pm

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 12:19:09 pm »
most likely toasted the valves  :(

sounds like you're on the right track, having someone who knows what they are doing with these engines/cars is a huge asset.

have fun!

Reply #2August 24, 2005, 01:46:51 pm

Master ACiD

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 01:46:51 pm »
i pulled the head and all the valves seem fine except the #3 intake valve. it wont fuly close unless i give her a little tap with my ball peen hammer. i am wondering if i just have a stuck valve? i guess its possible.

pistons seem fine. the piston has a super slight valve indentation on it, its so small you cant even feel it, only see it. sence the valves run exactly paralell to the pistons, i dont think any are bent. maybe i just got a stuck valve and broke the belt by coincidence?

Reply #3August 24, 2005, 01:53:21 pm

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 01:53:21 pm »
i'll let someone with more experience than me comment, but based on what i've done to these motors... i'd think the valves would need to be replaced. esp if you can see where they kissed the pistons :(

Reply #4August 24, 2005, 02:20:09 pm

vwmike

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 02:20:09 pm »
The valves may run parallel to the pistons, but that just means it doesn't usually snap the valve heads off. They stems sort of become "S" shaped. Pull out the bent valve and check the valve guide. At the very least you might be able to get away with replacing that valve and relapping the seat. Be careful of the valve seal while you're in there.

Reply #5August 24, 2005, 04:42:26 pm

Master ACiD

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 04:42:26 pm »
you were completely right, the valve was s shaped. we chucked it in a press and spun it, it was kinda bad, then again i never heard of s shaped valves before so i dont know what to compare it too.. we pulled another valve out of a spare head and ran it in the press, it isnt s shaped, so we installed it and it works good!
i am waiting on a replacment head gasket and a couple other gaskets as well as a new timing belt. maybe in a week ill have it back up and running again!

in the meantime i am adjusting the lifters via those funny little shims and doing other general car stuff.