Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: fuel filter placement  (Read 2744 times)

March 05, 2009, 04:35:47 am

1outof5

fuel filter placement
« on: March 05, 2009, 04:35:47 am »
I would guess the answer is the same whathever the diesel engine but in my case it's on a MK1 TD.

How far can the diesel fuel filter be from the injection pump?
Would any further than  the rain tray be a problem?
Placing the filter by the tank would require an extra fuel pump?

The whole point is to "clean" up the engine bay, not for looks but for room.

Reply #1March 05, 2009, 06:19:42 am

dillenger1

• Veteran

fuel filter placement
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 06:19:42 am »
its not gonna matter.These injection pumps can move some fuel.Just prime it before starting.
Cummins 4bta- 85 dodge prospector short bed
28 mpg!!and i can pull down a house!
1.6td in toyota pickup
10mm head ,t3 intercooled.

Reply #2March 05, 2009, 10:32:26 am

8v-of-fury

fuel filter placement
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 10:32:26 am »
I've seen the relocated to the rain tray. Looks pretty good too. Then the only thing that would be in your engine bay would be the fuel lines :) However Putting it by your tank shouldn't be a problem either.. because either way the pump is still pumping with the same resistance and the same distance right? If you want to be easier on the pump you could try puttin a small lift pump near the tank that will run like 3-5 psi.

Goodluck. :)

Reply #3March 05, 2009, 01:01:56 pm

Rabbit on Roids

fuel filter placement
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 01:01:56 pm »
i relocated my fuel filter, but that was just because my turbo intake pipes needed to be right where the filter was. so i relocated it about 10 inches from the IP. the way i mounted it even looks like a stock vw deal. and uh, whoever said that a lift pump will help.. they do. ive just got a little shaker pump and it helped out quite a bit. there are NO BUBBLES in my air lines ever, unless theres nothing but air in my fuel tank. and priming the IP is a total no brainer now. turn the key on, wait for the pump to get quiet.. fire it up. and im talking so far out of fuel that the tank is completely dry. ive never had to re prime or crack my infectors after running out.

Reply #4March 07, 2009, 09:11:16 pm

UnderPSI

• Junior

fuel filter placement
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 09:11:16 pm »
I have my filter mounted above my rear axle on my Samurai, never had a prob with it there.
Suzuki Samurai 1.6

Reply #5March 08, 2009, 08:43:24 am

88jetta350

fuel filter placement
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 08:43:24 am »
not to hijack, but does the filter HAVE to be mounted upright?

I was planning on relocating it to the rain tray, but I was unsure if it needs to stay in an upright position.

Reply #6March 08, 2009, 10:17:37 am

blacknoise

fuel filter placement
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 10:17:37 am »
I have a 1.9TD in my mkI and had the same problem with the fuel filter stand assembly interfering with my turbo intake hose.  I pulled it out of there and put in an early mkII fuel filter can (w/o the fuel return widget) in place immediately ahead of the shock tower like a mkII.  

There is no mounting for it there, so I took a standard angle bracket (3" or something) and chopped one leg down to size so it bolts on top of the that stud ahead of the strut bearing with a second nut.  The long leg of the bracket points down the front of the strut tower and the filter attaches to this with a wide hose clamp.  I also needed a short hose extension for the fuel supply to reach this new filter location.  The return hose in unaltered.

That worked for me as I don't have a bulky airbox there but rather a stupid oiled cone filter (I judged the stock 1.6TD airbox isn't large enough for the 1.9).

Brendan.
81 Rabbit TD - AAZ adaption NEED INJECTORS
90 Jetta D - "tall" tranny (code ACN)
86 Golf TDI (building) - 1900rpm@65mph, .205 nozzles, kp39A turbo, H2O IC

Reply #7March 08, 2009, 02:51:30 pm

Rabbit on Roids

fuel filter placement
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 02:51:30 pm »
Quote from: "blacknoise"
I have a 1.9TD in my mkI and had the same problem with the fuel filter stand assembly interfering with my turbo intake hose.  I pulled it out of there and put in an early mkII fuel filter can (w/o the fuel return widget) in place immediately ahead of the shock tower like a mkII.  

There is no mounting for it there, so I took a standard angle bracket (3" or something) and chopped one leg down to size so it bolts on top of the that stud ahead of the strut bearing with a second nut.  The long leg of the bracket points down the front of the strut tower and the filter attaches to this with a wide hose clamp.  I also needed a short hose extension for the fuel supply to reach this new filter location.  The return hose in unaltered.

That worked for me as I don't have a bulky airbox there but rather a stupid oiled cone filter (I judged the stock 1.6TD airbox isn't large enough for the 1.9).

Brendan.

i too have my filter in front of the shock tower. but instead of going up over the engine with the air intake, i just cut a hole in the rain tray. the air filter sits right next to the passenger side hood hinge. and plus, it sucks cold air from the cowl instead of the engine room. honestly i like how clean it looks.

Reply #8March 09, 2009, 11:07:47 am

blacknoise

fuel filter placement
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 11:07:47 am »
Kevin: we meet again.  Glad your rabbit VNT project has born functional fruit.  I have been out of the loop for the last year because of work in Alaska.  I am returning to Maine to and will "finish up" my 86 Golf TDI project (these things are never really done).  I'm gonna start the drive tomorrow from CA.  I'll catch with you when I get home.

Cheers
-Brendan
81 Rabbit TD - AAZ adaption NEED INJECTORS
90 Jetta D - "tall" tranny (code ACN)
86 Golf TDI (building) - 1900rpm@65mph, .205 nozzles, kp39A turbo, H2O IC

Reply #9March 09, 2009, 11:24:06 am

1outof5

fuel filter placement
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 11:24:06 am »
Quote from: "Rabbit on Roids"

i too have my filter in front of the shock tower. but instead of going up over the engine with the air intake, i just cut a hole in the rain tray. the air filter sits right next to the passenger side hood hinge. and plus, it sucks cold air from the cowl instead of the engine room. honestly i like how clean it looks.

Any pics of that ? Looks interesting

Reply #10March 09, 2009, 02:40:26 pm

88jetta350

fuel filter placement
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 02:40:26 pm »
Quote from: "Rabbit on Roids"

Reply #11March 09, 2009, 04:01:38 pm

Rabbit on Roids

fuel filter placement
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 04:01:38 pm »
well, i can probably take some pics of it.. but i really dont know how to load them on here. what do i use? some other image hosting website?

S-PAutomotive.com