Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: 1.6 NA enigne work questions  (Read 3227 times)

Reply #15March 15, 2009, 02:36:52 pm

Rabbit TD

• Veteran

1.6 NA enigne work questions
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2009, 02:36:52 pm »
I'm glad you got it straightened out and listen to Tyler on what he said about the injectors, that's what his line of work is.  I switched a set one time same bodies with new nozzles and they made so much noise you couldn't stand it.  Another thing to double check when removing injectors and doing compression tests is to double check to make sure  one of the original sealing washers isn't still in the hole when you put in the new ones.  I use an old one under the compression adapter doing the test and the engine idled kind of rough a whle back afterwards and sure enough I let that one in the hole when I put in the new ones.  It probably messed up the spray pattern with 2 of them.  Yes try putting the timing up to around at least 1.0 and then try more after you see what this does, it really makes a difference including easier starting as well, I think it actualy helped my mileage also, I'm glad you have the dial indicator, it's just guesswork without it.

Reply #16March 16, 2009, 05:51:55 pm

JBR8517

• User+

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2009, 05:51:55 pm »
Quote from: "Rabbit TD"
Another thing to double check when removing injectors and doing compression tests is to double check to make sure  one of the original sealing washers isn't still in the hole when you put in the new ones.  I use an old one under the compression adapter doing the test and the engine idled kind of rough a whle back afterwards and sure enough I let that one in the hole when I put in the new ones.  It probably messed up the spray pattern with 2 of them.

Wow I'm surprised you didn't have any leaks, but good catch nonetheless. I fortunately am confident as I had 4 old heat shields on the work bench when I had completed the work.

Yes try putting the timing up to around at least 1.0 and then try more after you see what this does, it really makes a difference including easier starting as well, I think it actualy helped my mileage also, I'm glad you have the dial indicator, it's just guesswork without it.

I love that tool, it gets more use then I ever thought it would when I originally bought it, I can't imagine timing without it.

The work seemed to hold up last night and is now 500 miles older than it was yesterday. My fuel mileage and power was significantly improved for about half the drive when I began to notice a difference as my ability to stay with traffic diminished so did my fuel gauge. Pulled over and popped the hood, revealing diesel in an interesting spray pattern throughout the engine bay, one of the lines had sprung a leak at the collector (clip holding the lines in a group). After many failed attempts over the next 200 miles I arrived, washed the engine bay and parked the car.  :cry: Happily I commuted to school today on my bicycle, which rarely fails me  :wink:

Guess its just my luck, needless to say new lines are on order and hopefully there won't be any unforseen problems with such a simple job.

Reply #17March 16, 2009, 09:33:53 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2009, 09:33:53 pm »
Unfortunately a bit too late for you, but whenever you move the pump, always loosen all 8 nuts at the ends of the lines, and also the clamps at the same time. This prevents the lines from being stressed.

Glad to hear you got it sorted out. So you just cleaned the threads and then reinstalled the same injectors and voila, problem solved?
Tyler

Reply #18March 16, 2009, 11:33:37 pm

JBR8517

• User+

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2009, 11:33:37 pm »
Unfortunately a bit too late for you, but whenever you move the pump, always loosen all 8 nuts at the ends of the lines, and also the clamps at the same time. This prevents the lines from being stressed.

Sheesh I feel pretty foolish for not having thought of that, I often wondered why it was so difficult to move the pump.

Glad to hear you got it sorted out. So you just cleaned the threads and then reinstalled the same injectors and voila, problem solved?

...and soaked them in lacquer thinner and blew them out really well. Installed a new set of heat shields. I suspected a clogged injector, perhaps with some fragments of the gunked threads, to be one of the problems.

I do still have a hunch,  from the compression test mostly, that I have bad rings, perhaps leading to some mild oil consumption which could be acting as an alternate fuel and may have been built up on the cylinders from just being idled during the prior warm up ultimately causing the sticking RPMs. Hey all I said is its a hunch. :idea:

Fixmyvw.com