Author Topic: '84 Quantum Diesel Turbo oil return line  (Read 2338 times)

August 10, 2005, 01:16:52 pm

mdd

'84 Quantum Diesel Turbo oil return line
« on: August 10, 2005, 01:16:52 pm »
Hi There,

I have a 1984 VW Quantum 1.6 turbo diesel engine (in an '82 westfalia), and need the short, braided oil return line from the turbo to the oil pan. The original one was squished during a recent tow by a sloppy tow truck driver... the splash pan under the engine was crunched up against the bottom of the engine, squishing the line. This line is obsolete and not in stock anywhere locally that I can find. I have not tried canada. Anyone know where I can get one or have any ideas on similar lines from other cars that might work? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark
[email protected]

Be the change you wish to see in the world
-Gandhi

Reply #1August 10, 2005, 01:55:39 pm

Rat407

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 01:55:39 pm »
I'm not that familiar with all the different models but my 91 ECO Jetta has a hard to steel braided line on the return from the turbo, other than salvage yards, you could possibly make one.
AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants & Filtration Systems, Click Here
Wholesale pricing available!
1991 Jetta  ECO TD

Reply #2August 12, 2005, 01:07:30 am

mdd

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 01:07:30 am »
Thanks for the reply. That sounds like the same part, hard to steel braided. It's been a scavenger hunt, for sure. An engine shop in town actually had a used one and they wouldn't sell without the attached used turbo and head for -- get this -- $800. Needless to say, I kept looking. I finally found a hydraulic manufacturer in town that will make one for $50 that will be better than stock as it will have a 45 degree angle and thus be more out of the way. Ok, Mark
Mark
[email protected]

Be the change you wish to see in the world
-Gandhi

Reply #3August 12, 2005, 09:04:29 am

VWRacer

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 09:04:29 am »
I don't have a spare or I'd send it to you. In any case, Mark, having your local hydraulic guy make a line for you is almost certainly your best bet. He can ensure it's the right length and enters the pan at the best angle for your installation.
Stan
C-Sports Racer

S-PAutomotive.com