Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Newbie with Bosch pump problem  (Read 2136 times)

February 20, 2009, 07:55:16 pm

DirtyDerv

Newbie with Bosch pump problem
« on: February 20, 2009, 07:55:16 pm »
Hi people, i'm a newbie here, so please go easy on me, this isn't for any of your pumps, but after loads of reading up things on here about tuning im sure we can agree the same principles apply.

I'm a self taught mechanic, work mostly on peugeots, and the 1.9dt's, i do bosch conversions from lucas, turbo conversions, fmic's and basic tuning.

A customer has had to leave his car with me, i've fitted him a bosch setup, it came from the dreaded ebay. Pump is on, timed up, and runs like a dream, however, after a lot of inspecting the pump, the maximum fuel screw has been adjusted, the boost compensator hasnt been touched but the throttle lever has been off...

As i say, the car will idle fine, and cold start will raise the rpm, moving the throttle has absoloutely no responce, doesnt rev, nor does it sound any different.

Am i right in saying i need to do this? (Had a massive search as a guest, when i registered i found this in one of your guides)

Next is the governor cover and governor shaft seal. The return springs on the shaft are very strong and a bugger to reset once released. You can avoid releasing the top spring by restraining it with a cable tie. Push the little lever under the accelerator arm left as far as it will go, then pull the cable tie tight. Look carefully at the top of the governor shaft, at the nut. There may be a small white line. If so, scribe a mark on the accelerator arm (the flat arm, not the spring cup) to match the line on the shaft. If there is no shaft line, scribe your own line on both the shaft and the arm to assure proper alignment on reassembly. I did not know that there was no positive alignment index between the shaft and the arm and had to realign it by trial and error … mostly error.

Now remove the nut at the top of the shaft, push the under lever to the right to unhook it from the upper spring, lift the upper spring and governor arm off the shaft, then slowly let the under lever unwind until loose. The upper spring and its cup are separate from the governor arm and will lift off, but it does not need to be removed from the arm. Remove the under lever and its spring & washer. Do NOT fool with the maximum RPM screw on the cover (the closer one). You may need to remove the idle speed screw for better access to a cover screw.

I'm a bit dubious about touching this as i've heard they are a nightmare. Can someone explain the above in more simple terms?

Really look forward to hearing your replies before i have to go and grab anouther pump.

Cheers guys :)

Reply #1February 20, 2009, 09:18:31 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 09:18:31 pm »
What is your pump number? What style is it? (VE, P, M etc)
Tyler

Reply #2February 21, 2009, 02:45:09 am

foxracer1

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 02:45:09 am »
Luckliy its not revving versus revving uncontrolled. Sounds like the throttle isn't indexed. Or they didn't get the govonor hooked up to the control rack in the pump.
84 4dr Rabbit 1.6 N/A sold to friend
86 Jetta TD getting raced out AHU 02A
98 Jetta TDI Malone tune stg 3
91 S10 305 TPI T56
86 S10 2WD Prerunner project.

Now offering turbo rebuilds. HP or stock. Any turbo you have i can rebuild it for ya.
Reseal injection pumps PM for det

Reply #3February 21, 2009, 11:53:08 am

Quantum TD

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 11:53:08 am »
Quote from: "libbybapa"
It sounds like the accelerator lever is not indexed correctly with the shaft.

Andrew

X2. Or the governor spring-shaft came off the hook. My dad had the pump for his 1.9TD AAZ rebuilt by a reputable shop in CT. The car ran fantastic until he drove it to Maine on a trip. The car suddenly would not accelerate. It would idle fine, and the cold-start worked perfectly. We finally rationed that the rod had come off. Sure enough, the spring-rod had come off the governor lever because one of the springs was missing off the tip of the rod.

Reply #4February 21, 2009, 05:31:45 pm

DirtyDerv

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 05:31:45 pm »
Cheers guys! I didnt have time to get on here this morning, so i had to just get on with it, i took the arm off, started the car and turned the rod to see if it did anything. sure enough 45degrees anti clockwise and the car revved.

Got the arm back in with very little/no play in the throttle, wound in the limit screw as it was hitting 5100rpm, wound it into 4500rpm - even then the power has gone anyway because of the governor. Sorted out the max fuelling for him, fitted him a boost gauge, wound the boost up to 17psi and the had the diaphram out and turned. At a guess i'd say its sitting at about 120bhp, next week he wants fmic fitted with some higher flow injectors and gt15 turbo, only aiming for 17psi with the front mount, but its the injectors that are gonna make the difference to the torque curves and possibly 140bhp, although i think i know someone who's getting injectors for 160bhp+ (gets expensive though, clutch needs doing, engine mounts and a bit of a diet. Shame its a 5dr  :roll:

Might do something with the plunger and the gov, want him to properly service it though before i do anything else.

Anyways, cheers for your help guys, i'll be sticking around on here. Always up for learning more :)

Fixmyvw.com