S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Tiny Tach  (Read 3068 times)

June 12, 2004, 02:42:29 pm

DVST8R

• Veteran

Tiny Tach
« on: June 12, 2004, 02:42:29 pm »
Hey has anybody used a tiny tach b4 on there diesel? http://www.tinytach.com It is setup so that there is an transduser that goes around one of your injector lines, and that is what feeds the tach input and it is good to 10,000 rpm, and its cheap like $70.00. I juat wanted some feedback if anybody has used on eb4 I go buy one, as using a stock td tach just doesnt have the rpm limit I want. 8)

The Brett of the board...

The Dark Side of Beauty.[/i]

Reply #1June 12, 2004, 03:52:01 pm

dieselpower

• Junior

Tiny Tach
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2004, 03:52:01 pm »
i have one of those on my dirtbike. I got mine a couple years ago so they might have improved, but mine takes a few seconds to read out the rpm. and since its digital, its hard to tell how fast your accelerating. its good if you do a lot of cruzing at a steady speed on the highway but if you want to use it to know when to shift, youll overrev your engine before it says your at the rpm you want to shift at. but like i said they might have changed since i got mine.
84 rabbit 1.6TD
because real cars don't have sparkplugs

Reply #2June 12, 2004, 04:43:30 pm

deepmud

• Junior

I just got one
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2004, 04:43:30 pm »
He's right - it's a little slow to respond - it gets confused at idle a lot, starts jumping around - so it's not perfect.  It does a good job of telling me rpm at a given speed. To watch for over-rev, you'll have to know your rpm in a given gear at a given speed, maybe. It was easy to hook up, tho'. They have an online order form - it was weird - no credit card info. I just sent in my request, a few days later my tach showed up. A couple days after that I got the bill. I think they must usually send to business' - you'd lose a lot of money that way on Ebay. Of course, I sent the check - I would like to think that 99% of people would do the same.
the 1.9TD/Suzuki w/big tires guy
visit Alaska @ www.alaska4x4network.com

Reply #3June 12, 2004, 08:07:48 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
timing check
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2004, 08:07:48 pm »
Good site to link to.
 The timing light is a great idea. Probably more accurate than the dial guage.
 They even sell the transducers seperately.
 It would be great to be able to compare a TDC signal with the transducer signal, making it possible to check the advance curve.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Fixmyvw.com