S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: td 1.6  (Read 3834 times)

August 01, 2005, 06:49:55 pm

32 VALVES

td 1.6
« on: August 01, 2005, 06:49:55 pm »
I have a 81 rabbit truck with a non turbo 1.6 diesel, and I found a 1.6 td in a quantum can I take the intake and manifold/turbo and slap it on my engine. and do I have to take that injector pump also... :?:

Reply #1August 01, 2005, 09:16:22 pm

vwmike

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

td 1.6
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 09:16:22 pm »
There are a number of other considerations, but as a start that turbosystem will not fit. You would need a setup off of a transversely mounted engine, more specifically a Rabbit or Jetta 1 if you want the downpipe to fit.

Reply #2August 02, 2005, 04:01:37 am

32 VALVES

turbo system
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 04:01:37 am »
I was going to custom make my down pipe...

Reply #3August 02, 2005, 07:53:44 am

Audi80

td 1.6
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 07:53:44 am »
You can use Quantum intake manifold, turbo and pump. Exhaust manifold is different, will not fit in Rabbit.

Reply #4August 02, 2005, 08:06:01 am

veeman

• Veteran

td 1.6
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2005, 08:06:01 am »
Is the Quantum intake the one that can be configured to have the intake opening either on top or on the back side of the intake?  I seem to remember seeing that in a photo somewhere...

Another note... depending on which alternator setup the Quantum has, you might have a problem using the Quantum alternator / bracket when you put it in your rabbit.  There's a thread open on that right now... I found out the hard way.  The good news is that you can swap the bracket / alt from your stock NA engine over.

You'll also have to consider the fuel filter stand and the airbox.  The factory A1 TD's I've seen in pics mounted their fuel filter next to the turbo outlet (where the downpipe curves down on the firewall.  They use a special rubber isolated stand with a heat shield.  I don't believe these parts are on the Quantum.  That's not to say you can't use another setup and make it work in another location (that's what I'm doing), but if you're going for stock...

As for the airbox on the Quantum, I believe it's different than on the A1's.  Not sure exactly how, but someone else might confirm.  I chose to source a proper A1 TD airbox, but others have used a cone filter setup on theirs...

That all said, you've got access to the most important elements... the engine, pump, cylinder head, turbo and one of the manifolds.  I'd say that's a good start for a swap.
81 Caddy TD
98 Audi A4 Quattro V6 TDI
83 VW GTI FSP
86 4ktq

Reply #5August 02, 2005, 09:47:23 am

vwmike

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

td 1.6
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2005, 09:47:23 am »
Just to be clear on the exhaust manifold - It positions the turbo where the shift linkage would be on the Rabbit, so that is why it will not fit.

Reply #6August 03, 2005, 01:05:40 am

janb

• Junior

td 1.6
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2005, 01:05:40 am »
the intake can be made to fit either, (swap block-off plate)
the Q exhaust manifold (i.e. turbo position) will not fit

the blocks are capable of both,  Oil filter housing is different too.
The Stealth Rabbit
VW-d's are forever

Reply #7August 04, 2005, 04:11:42 pm

32 VALVES

turbo
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2005, 04:11:42 pm »
I found a exhaust manifold of a turbo raabbit on ebay so what do I need to get off the quantam turbo for my rabbit...

Reply #8August 05, 2005, 08:18:43 am

veeman

• Veteran

td 1.6
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2005, 08:18:43 am »
Have you found a downpipe for it as well?  You'll need the A1 style or you can make your own.

From the Quantum, you should of course get the engine itself (block/head) plus the injection pump (specific to the TD), turbo oil lines, etc.  If at all possible, you could just disconnect the wiring, radiator hoses, fuel lines and just pull the whole motor as it sits with all the accessories attached.

The Quantum alternator setup (if it's on top) won't really fit in the A1 "as is", but if it's all attached and doesn't cost more, you can always grab it and the manifolds you can't use at the same time and offer them to someone else here who might need them. I don't think you'll be able to use the radiator in the A1.

You'll be reusing most of the engine mounts and such from your NA diesel engine...
81 Caddy TD
83 VW GTI FSP
86 4ktq

Reply #9October 06, 2005, 08:56:47 pm

32 VALVES

turbo on a n/a diesel
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2005, 08:56:47 pm »
they crushed the vw that had turbo systems but I know where a 2000 tdi head is as but the valves are all smashed up but the turbo and the turbo mani is still intact and the intake.  I think I can work with that but what do I need to use as a blow off valve or do I need something like that?

Reply #10October 07, 2005, 07:32:54 am

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

td 1.6
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2005, 07:32:54 am »
Quote from: "veeman"
The factory A1 TD's I've seen in pics mounted their fuel filter next to the turbo outlet (where the downpipe curves down on the firewall.  They use a special rubber isolated stand with a heat shield.  I don't believe these parts are on the Quantum.  That's not to say you can't use another setup and make it work in another location (that's what I'm doing), but if you're going for stock...

they must have been aftermarket installs you've seen veeman.

the proper location for the airbox in a mkI TD is on top of the frame rail, in front of the passenger side strut tower, just like the mkII TD cars. however, this airbox is specific to mkI TDs. mkII boxes will not fit. i have been using just a plain old K&N cone for the past year while i try to track down the proper airbox for a factory install.

(but then later in your post you go on to say you found the proper mkI TD box for your install...can you clarify the statement about the special rubber isolated stand? curious now...)

Reply #11October 07, 2005, 10:08:00 am

veeman

• Veteran

td 1.6
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2005, 10:08:00 am »
>>the proper location for the airbox in a mkI TD is on top of the frame rail, in front of the passenger side strut tower, just like the mkII TD cars.

Hmmm... interesting.  The NA MkI's had the fuel filter on the pass. strut tower, but from what I understood, the mkI TD's had the filter in the position I described.  Like this (not my car) :

and this  (83 jetta TD..also not mine)

I think the reason for this is that the stock TD airbox and intake pipe sit practically right next to the passenger strut tower...hence no room for the filter stand.  I think you can see that in the first photo.

In the second picture, you can see the special TD heat shield and the fuel filter mount with the rubber stand-offs.  If I understand correctly, these rubber parts move the filter around 1/2 inch off of the raintray /firewall area and provide some isolation from vibration.

Next, in order to have the filter in this location, the stock MkI's that I've seen pictures of have a long rubber/cloth fuel line from the passenger side of the car all the way over the rain tray (with special clips) to the filter.   My TD engine came with that hose, the filter stand and the heat shield.

FWIW, I didn't really like the idea of  having my fuel filter so close to my downpipe / turbo, so I relocated mine to the inner fender well as Jake and others advised.  There's an existing stud there that you can bolt to and the fender liners still fit over it.  

Does that help at all?
81 Caddy TD
83 VW GTI FSP
86 4ktq

Reply #12October 07, 2005, 10:24:17 am

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

td 1.6
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2005, 10:24:17 am »
my apologies veeman. i made the mistake of thinking i was coherent at 8:30am. i mistook 'fuel filter' for 'air filter'. everything you said is correct from a technical stand-point, and i also agree about your opinion of the factory mkI TD fuel filter location.  :oops:

Fixmyvw.com