S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Diesel newbie need some help!  (Read 1904 times)

January 18, 2009, 01:54:22 am

Clintwalker85

• Junior

Diesel newbie need some help!
« on: January 18, 2009, 01:54:22 am »
ok so heres the deal....i just bought a 1994 vw golf 1.9 turbo diesel i have spent soo many hours on this site reading up...now i just orderd a pyrometer and i don't know where to install it on the 1.9...thats issue no.1
no.2 i orderd a straight muffler...got rid of the cat converter and going to take both res and muffler off..after thats done i would like to tune the injection pump but i can't find the ajustment screw all you ppl are talking about..? if someone could helpme out that would be great! is there any good pictures or video's of anyone ajusting the screw? thanks!

Reply #1January 18, 2009, 02:38:01 am

Rabbit TD

• Veteran

Re: Diesel newbie need some help!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 02:38:01 am »
Quote from: "Clintwalker85"
ok so heres the deal....i just bought a 1994 vw golf 1.9 turbo diesel i have spent soo many hours on this site reading up...now i just orderd a pyrometer and i don't know where to install it on the 1.9...thats issue no.1
no.2 i orderd a straight muffler...got rid of the cat converter and going to take both res and muffler off..after thats done i would like to tune the injection pump but i can't find the ajustment screw all you ppl are talking about..? if someone could helpme out that would be great! is there any good pictures or video's of anyone ajusting the screw? thanks!

I don't know what your manifold looks like but the best place to put them is right under the turbo where all 4 cylinders exhaust is converging, in other words if you take the turbo off you want to see the probe down there looking at you.  And do yourself a favor and take the manifold off to drill it and tap it.   I can't imagine tapping it on the car as some say they have done, it took me about 1/2 hour just to tap it with the 21/64 hole and I was scared the tap was gonna snap at any monent and it is a good tap and it gets tighter the further you go because of the taper. Did you get the spruce thermocouple, they are supposed to be really fast reading, I got one and am waiting for the Autometer SportComp gauge to get here to match the boost gauge I already had from a truck I had.  I don't have any experience on turning the screws yet so I'm not saying anything about that. :)

Reply #2January 18, 2009, 02:45:22 am

Clintwalker85

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 02:45:22 am »
thanks, its an autometer phantom, trying to find a boost gauge to match...dam ebay its always 1 gauge or the other never both...

Reply #3January 18, 2009, 06:52:12 am

Dirtrag2

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 06:52:12 am »
first off read the post on how to make your TD a faster car... no more pics but still pretty informative.

looking at the pump from the front, the fuel adjustment screw is on the right side just beneath the LDA it has a plastic cover on it ( probably red ) and a metal ring holding it in place. carefully break them off and voila you have access to the screw.

hope this helps  :wink:
...Darcy
'97 Jetta 1.9TD ( dirtrag2 )
'88 Fox Wagon ( projekt Dirtrag 3 )

Reply #4January 18, 2009, 12:23:38 pm

Clintwalker85

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 12:23:38 pm »
thanks i'll have to check that out tonight! can't ajust yet tough...still waiing for the exhaust to come in :roll: gotta watch those egts..

Reply #5January 18, 2009, 10:56:03 pm

Clintwalker85

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 10:56:03 pm »
ok so i was looking at the "make your td faster" i was reading it but none of the pictures are there so when it says screw #1 ect i have no clue anyone have those pictures and what not that were soposto be on that thred? or can some one make pictures for me?? it would be a great help!!

Reply #6January 19, 2009, 06:07:56 am

dillenger1

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 06:07:56 am »
Its the screw behind and under the "out" bolt(fuel return).theres a collar on it that needs to be tapped off with a drift.
Cummins 4bta- 85 dodge prospector short bed
28 mpg!!and i can pull down a house!
1.6td in toyota pickup
10mm head ,t3 intercooled.

Reply #7January 19, 2009, 01:58:24 pm

Clintwalker85

• Junior

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 01:58:24 pm »
can i ajust that screw with the factory exhaust on it or should i wait to put the aftermarket exhaust on i just don't want the egts to get too high i already installed a cold air intake on it so it will breath better but will that cause higher egts with the factory exhaust?

Reply #8January 20, 2009, 10:03:19 pm

Clintwalker85

• Junior

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 10:03:19 pm »
ok so i was looking at the injection pump...i found a screw woth a hole threw the side of it....there was no "red plastic cap" on it but it does have a red insert its just above the injector fuel lines....i took some pictures can someone tell me if this is the right screw?? i don't know how to add pics but i can e-mail them to anyone that can tell me..

Reply #9January 21, 2009, 12:20:24 am

Rabbit TD

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 12:20:24 am »
Quote from: "Clintwalker85"
thanks, its an autometer phantom, trying to find a boost gauge to match...dam ebay its always 1 gauge or the other never both...

I just got my Autometer Sport Comp Pyrometer and water temp gauge today in the mail.  I wanted to do the torch test this evening but I didn't feel like taking it back out of the manifold to see how these spruce probes work.  Motor isn't in a car yet :)  P.S. Did you try Summit Racing, they're prices are pretty good if they have the one you want.  I got mine at Egauges.

Reply #10January 21, 2009, 05:22:22 am

regcheeseman

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 05:22:22 am »
I've got the thread and snippets of others stored in on one word .doc file complete with pictures.

Can email to anyone that wants it - just pm your email address.

Maybe it's worth hosting on here - as many ask for it?

Fixmyvw.com