Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: free power on a stock aaz  (Read 11958 times)

December 21, 2008, 07:54:08 am

rov716y

• Junior

free power on a stock aaz
« on: December 21, 2008, 07:54:08 am »
i swapped out a 1.5 auto petrol and put a 1993 aaz in my series 1 mk1 about 6 months ago.

in that time i have done several things that have now made it a lot quicker than my mk1 gti.

i am still on a stock k03 turbo but i have fitted a manual boost controler and completely shut it off so my turbo is boosting to its own limit which is 19 psi. i have removed the stock pin out the top of the pump and fitted a modded one so i get lots off fuelling under boost. i have turned the fuel screw up as far as i can so it will still idle ok.   i have rotated the pump towards the engine a little to advance the timing and removed a shim from the spring behind the plate at the front of the pump.  

is their any other 'free mods' i can do? or is that about it?

Reply #1December 21, 2008, 07:59:51 am

TurboJ

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 07:59:51 am »
Did you remove the shim from the rev governor? It's a 'fork' that has three separate springs inside.

You will get a lot more performance still if you modify your governor. You're supposed to add shims to it, not remove :)

Search 'gov mod' or 'governor mod' - there's a guide here somewhere.
---------------------------------------
Jetta II 1.6 TD 'Project 200'

Reply #2December 21, 2008, 08:03:58 am

dillenger1

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 08:03:58 am »
hes talking about the timing piston in the bottom.rightmI thought that wasnt a worthwhile modd.
Cummins 4bta- 85 dodge prospector short bed
28 mpg!!and i can pull down a house!
1.6td in toyota pickup
10mm head ,t3 intercooled.

Reply #3December 21, 2008, 08:05:47 am

rov716y

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 08:05:47 am »
Quote from: "dillenger1"
hes talking about the timing piston in the bottom.rightmI thought that wasnt a worthwhile modd.

yes thats what i done and it does seem to off given me a little power. only done that this morn but deffo quicker.

Reply #4December 21, 2008, 08:07:01 am

rov716y

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 08:07:01 am »
Quote from: "TurboJ"
Did you remove the shim from the rev governor? It's a 'fork' that has three separate springs inside.

You will get a lot more performance still if you modify your governor. You're supposed to add shims to it, not remove :)

Search 'gov mod' or 'governor mod' - there's a guide here somewhere.

i've heard about doing something to the govener but never quite 100% understood what needs to be done.

will have a search and a read

Reply #5December 21, 2008, 10:20:52 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 10:20:52 am »
The goernor mod is shimming the main spring about 1/4" of an inch. The way I understand it is idle, intermediate, and main. The main spring is the biggest of the 3 springs in the assembly. Get some small SAE washers and stack them up on the shaft, put the spring on, slide it back together and your done. I have done 2 and it is really hard to do by hand and one person, if you have 2 people it isnn't bad, but the spring is nuts trying to get it back together.
What this does is allows the pump to fuel longer and as a result you should have more power in higher RPMs.

Reply #6December 21, 2008, 12:05:37 pm

rov716y

• Junior

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 12:05:37 pm »
Quote from: "theman53"
The goernor mod is shimming the main spring about 1/4" of an inch. The way I understand it is idle, intermediate, and main. The main spring is the biggest of the 3 springs in the assembly. Get some small SAE washers and stack them up on the shaft, put the spring on, slide it back together and your done. I have done 2 and it is really hard to do by hand and one person, if you have 2 people it isnn't bad, but the spring is nuts trying to get it back together.
What this does is allows the pump to fuel longer and as a result you should have more power in higher RPMs.

so will the engine rev higher or just rev harder?  

i'm guessing i'm at betwen 120 and 130 bhp at the moment what sort off increase will this see? 5 bhp? 20bhp? surely no more than that.  my aim is 150bhp.  if this governer mod doesn't give me that is their anything i can do to the injectors?

Reply #7December 21, 2008, 01:18:28 pm

bert

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 01:18:28 pm »
easy rov,if you go any more you will need a bigger clutch  :lol:
how about a free flow exhaust,your still on the 1.6D exhaust are you not?
Bert

Reply #8December 21, 2008, 01:35:37 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 01:35:37 pm »
The engine will rev higher and should make more power longer into the RPM range....if you want real power take a trip to the vendors section and see a man named Giles. He is the true pump guru.

Reply #9December 22, 2008, 06:24:52 am

dillenger1

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 06:24:52 am »
If your still on stock exhaust you will be in trouble with egts.Need to open that thing up. :)
Cummins 4bta- 85 dodge prospector short bed
28 mpg!!and i can pull down a house!
1.6td in toyota pickup
10mm head ,t3 intercooled.

Reply #10December 22, 2008, 06:34:13 am

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 06:34:13 am »
Quote from: "dillenger1"
If your still on stock exhaust you will be in trouble with egts.Need to open that thing up. :)

Hellz yeah buddy.
But not technically a free mod :oops:
unless you steal some signs and have a welder and the skills to boot.
Ed
Blacked out mk2 AAZ Jetta RIP. You are missed.
White 1999.5 ALH Golf 2dr. Low & wide. Rammed off the road RIP.
Blue 2009 CR140 Jetta CBEA/CJAA. Malone stage 2. EGR/DPF/Exhaust-valve deletes. 2.5" open exhaust. ADP Turbo swap. 1-stage nitrous kit. THROWN ROD

Reply #11December 22, 2008, 08:12:03 am

regcheeseman

• Veteran

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 08:12:03 am »
I may have mis-understood the gov mod but I thought that the standard gov has two elements..

- the first weak spring progressively reduces fuel delivery rate from about 2500rpm

- the second spring kills the fuel at hugh revs effectively giving the revlimiting effect

The gov mod effectively eliminates the first stage so you get full fuel up until the point the second spring cuts in and acts as a rev limiter.

So it should have little effect on rev ceiling but make it rev much harder.

Downpipe is what you really need though...

Reply #12December 22, 2008, 08:29:40 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 08:29:40 am »
You need to shim the main spring. Just put something in to compress it by 3/16"-1/4". That will allow it to fuel further up the RPM band instead of it cutting fuel at 3500.
Here is a picture, you can't see the idle spring as it is not there, but if you can imagine it being on the open end...it has been almost a year since I did one... I went with a couple more washers than what is pictured here, but this is the idea. From what I gather you lose serious drivabiltiy if you shim any spring but the biggest main one. It will rev like crazy after you do this.
I also found out that you might have to do some adjustments to the fuel and idle screws. Since one thread makes a big difference in those screws you will understand that taking the top off of the pump and not getting it exactly where it was before is hard. The pumps bolt holes had enough slop in mine to not line up correctly, that and my way of holding the governor back with a screw driver to get the top back on was challenging enough without trying to line it all up. replace all the seals you take apart as well so you don't have to do it 2 times like me.

Reply #13December 22, 2008, 09:54:40 am

TurboJ

• Veteran

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 09:54:40 am »
Quote from: "rov716y"

so will the engine rev higher or just rev harder?  

i'm guessing i'm at betwen 120 and 130 bhp at the moment what sort off increase will this see? 5 bhp? 20bhp? surely no more than that.  my aim is 150bhp.  if this governer mod doesn't give me that is their anything i can do to the injectors?

You will achieve both. The main reason for the giv mod is to allow more power in the upper rev range, but you can also increase the rev limit.

As for your predicted power, you might just touch 120 hp after you have made the governor mod - no way you can get 130 hp with K03 turbo and stock exhaust. I would imagine your engine is currently around 100-110 hp, but all that torque makes it much quicker than a gas engine with the same power  :wink:
---------------------------------------
Jetta II 1.6 TD 'Project 200'

Reply #14December 22, 2008, 12:24:40 pm

rov716y

• Junior

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 12:24:40 pm »
Quote from: "bert"
easy rov,if you go any more you will need a bigger clutch  :lol:
how about a free flow exhaust,your still on the 1.6D exhaust are you not?
Bert

i know i'm running my 1.9td on a 1.6dn/a exhaust.  i am saving to sort this. need about £350 to get one made for her.  or i could get a downpipe made up so i can fit an off the shelf gti system.

and clutch i was on the understanding the aaz clutch was the biggest you can get into an 020 box?

i will do this governer mod once i syked myself up enough to take the top off my pump.  

i was toying alittle with getting another k03 and running twin turbo's one for cylinder 1&2 and another for 3&4.  which would be a nice little project.  i could even get 4 turbo's and run 1 per cylinder.  hmmm my minds running away again so i'll stop.  :D

Fixmyvw.com