Author Topic: new here - bleeding injection system  (Read 1465 times)

December 19, 2008, 01:26:17 pm

joe1975

new here - bleeding injection system
« on: December 19, 2008, 01:26:17 pm »
Hello,

I am new here but I have been reading your stuff for a while and decided to join as you guys seem to know your stuff.

I have just changed the head gasket (along with the turbo and a bunch of other stuff) on my 1.6TD Vanagon.   I went to start it today but the battery was flat :cry:

ANYWAY ...  Tomorrow the battery will be good and I really want to get it going as its been a long hard task teaching myself how to do this. After checking the FAQ and using the search I canīt find out how to the bleed the fuel system?

Now I know this should be simple but I donīt want to flatten my battery and have to wait another 24hrs ...

I have used the little hand pump and can see that there is diesel going into the injector pump but as yet nothing coming out of the injector pump or at the injectors.

If you could just point me in the right direction that would be such a weight off my mind.

Thanks in anticipation!!

Joe

1.6TD Syncro Vanagon - UK

Reply #1December 19, 2008, 01:31:45 pm

zukgod1

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 01:31:45 pm »
Keep going untill it starts coming out the return line from the IP.

Crack the injector lines loose at the injector and crank it over until fuel starts to come out, careful this can be very high pressure, once they start leaking fuel tighten them down.
I suspect if you have fuel  at the IP you will get it to start right up.

Oh ya, welcome to the site.  :D
dan

99 Golf TDI (now CNG powered) , 82 TD Caddy

Reply #2December 19, 2008, 01:34:03 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 01:34:03 pm »
Hi Joe,

welcome aboard.

Keep priming the pump. It might help to loosen the return banjo bolt. Once you get fuel coming out of the pump, you should be able to just crank it and it shoudl start within 20 seconds of starting.

Sometimes you need to crack open the injector lines at the pump and crank until you see fuel coming out.
Tyler

Reply #3December 19, 2008, 01:40:05 pm

arb

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 01:40:05 pm »
Welcome Joe !!

Did you use a standard fiber head gasket ? If so, did you see the procedure for heating it up the first time w/o the radiator cap on and retorquing after it cools down ?

Reply #4December 19, 2008, 01:57:56 pm

joe1975

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 01:57:56 pm »
thanks for the advice.  

not sure which brand of head gasket i used but i measured the piston projection with DTI gauge and followed all the advice in the bentley manual. i bought it from http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/index.php?&vmcchk=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=6
 they are meant to be good

i am hoping that we can get as much power out of the 1,6Td as it has move a syncro vanagon and lets be honest a 1.6 in vanagon is not exactly over powered!
1.6TD Syncro Vanagon - UK

Fixmyvw.com