S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Few questions regarding NA IDI (doing a swap)  (Read 1500 times)

December 11, 2008, 08:54:48 am

N75

Few questions regarding NA IDI (doing a swap)
« on: December 11, 2008, 08:54:48 am »
Hi! I'm in the process of gathering parts to make a NA IDI Cabby  :D  I've got a few questions I hope somebody wouldn't mind answering.

1) I'm going to use a GP 4-speed, and don't plan on ever boosting. Can I use a 190mm clutch setup?  The chassis is an automatic so I need a flywheel as well - otherwise I'd just use the current 8v gas 200mm :)

2) The car that's being converted is a later digi-2 8v.  They have a low pressure transfer pump in the tank to supply the main fuel pump.  If I bypass the main pump, is it ok to leave the transfer pump in the tank? I believe it's 3-4 psi and sure would make priming convenient!

I know I'll have more questions as I go - any help would be appriciated.  I have alot of VW experience, but none with the old diesels.  THANKS!!

Reply #1December 11, 2008, 10:09:56 am

zukgod1

• Veteran

Re: Few questions regarding NA IDI (doing a swap)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 10:09:56 am »
Quote from: "N75"
Hi! I'm in the process of gathering parts to make a NA IDI Cabby  :D  I've got a few questions I hope somebody wouldn't mind answering.

1) I'm going to use a GP 4-speed, and don't plan on ever boosting. Can I use a 190mm clutch setup?  The chassis is an automatic so I need a flywheel as well - otherwise I'd just use the current 8v gas 200mm :)

2) The car that's being converted is a later digi-2 8v.  They have a low pressure transfer pump in the tank to supply the main fuel pump.  If I bypass the main pump, is it ok to leave the transfer pump in the tank? I believe it's 3-4 psi and sure would make priming convenient!

I know I'll have more questions as I go - any help would be appriciated.  I have alot of VW experience, but none with the old diesels.  THANKS!!

Yes on the 190mm clutch.

Yes on the in tank pump, just be sure to remove the high pressure one and keep in mind your IP cannot suck through the in tank pump so if it goes out your not driving. Wire the in tank pump to the ignition "On" circuit and your set.
dan

99 Golf TDI (now CNG powered) , 82 TD Caddy