Author Topic: Finding TCD w/o trans bellhousing...  (Read 1938 times)

November 20, 2008, 03:26:04 pm

avocado

Finding TCD w/o trans bellhousing...
« on: November 20, 2008, 03:26:04 pm »
Hi all

I have a 1z/AHU engine in my possession that I will have to retime as I i ntend to install a Mechanical TDI injection pump and then put the motor in a suzuki sidekick.

Anyway, I have the motor but no trans bellhousing and thus no way to verify TDC at that point. I am sure there are other ways (shaft down the glow plug hole and rotate engine, etc) but I wanted to see if I could assume that the flywheel mark is at TDC when the flywheel is pointed straight up at the water inlet into the head? I checked my ALH, and the trans bellhousing port is in the same spot, so is it possible to move the AHU flywheel into the same spot and call that TDC?

Also....how do you adjust the injection timing on these pumps, there seems to be no way to adjust the IP like on the ALH's, I guess you have to loosen the whole pulley on the IP shaft and adjust from there?

TIA

Reply #1November 20, 2008, 04:11:24 pm

g-spec

• Veteran

Finding TCD w/o trans bellhousing...
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 04:11:24 pm »
There is a way to do it using the little nipple on the crank gear. I just dont remember which way it is supposed to face. It wont get you dead on.....but it will be close.