Author Topic: Brake line replacement  (Read 2863 times)

November 18, 2008, 08:44:44 am

Centex81

• User+

Brake line replacement
« on: November 18, 2008, 08:44:44 am »
While attempting to replace the brake hoses on my Rabbit I have found that the brake line fittings are pretty well seized and most likely will be destroyed being removed. I have searched the forum and this does not seem to be an uncommon problem. With that I will need to replace the lines and fittings. What size line and fittings are needed ? and can anyone recommend a good source ?
Also the rear passenger side has very limited room to work a wrench with the fuel tank up against the brake line bracket. Does the fuel tank need to be dropped or is ther another way ?
I have replaced everythig else on the brake system except the proportioning valve. Do these fail ?

1981 Rabbit 1.6L

Reply #1November 18, 2008, 11:18:57 am

TedV

• Junior

Brake line replacement
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 11:18:57 am »
your local auto parts store, NAPA, O'Rielies, AutoZone, Advanced, etc should have metric bubble flair lines of varios lengths in stock.  Measure what length you need and bend to fit.  use a WD-40 can to bend them around or rent a hand held brake line bender.  

Before you try and undo the rusty unions, spray them down daily with wd-40 or PBblaster for several days to a week.  Might save you rounding or breaking things.

Reply #2November 18, 2008, 01:45:54 pm

Possum79

• Veteran

• http://www.poscarclub.com
Re: Brake line replacement
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 01:45:54 pm »
Quote from: "Centex81"
I have replaced everythig else on the brake system except the proportioning valve. Do these fail ?

Mine started to leak so I would say yes they can fail. Supossedly they can fail internally regulating the pressures wrong. According the Bentley.
1979 VW Rabbit Diesel L
My car may be ugly but im addicted to it.

Fixmyvw.com