S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: 1.9 TD Questions  (Read 2099 times)

November 12, 2008, 11:07:14 pm

DonkeyWorx

• User+

1.9 TD Questions
« on: November 12, 2008, 11:07:14 pm »
Please bear with me on this - I am quite new to the VW Diesel scene and have done tons of searching and research on here already.

My Motor: AAZ 1.9TD IDI

Question: With the injection pump out on the bench, should I be able to spin the IP Shaft freely, or with a little resistance? or... Should it take a wrench on the nut to spin it? Meaning, how hard should it spin?

Question: When you put an injection pump back in, there is a key that goes into the pump pulley to line it up and keep it secure - Can a person get the pump itself 180 degrees off in some manner, or do you just line up the key to the pulley? (Pulley is locked in place right now.)

Thanks for your time,

Reply #1November 12, 2008, 11:51:01 pm

96jetta

1.9 TD Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 11:51:01 pm »
if the pin is in the [ump and the motor id at TDC i would think it should be ok.

Reply #2November 13, 2008, 12:04:11 am

zukgod1

• Veteran

Re: 1.9 TD Questions
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 12:04:11 am »
Quote from: "DonkeyWorx"
Please bear with me on this - I am quite new to the VW Diesel scene and have done tons of searching and research on here already.

My Motor: AAZ 1.9TD IDI

Question: With the injection pump out on the bench, should I be able to spin the IP Shaft freely, or with a little resistance? or... Should it take a wrench on the nut to spin it? Meaning, how hard should it spin?

Question: When you put an injection pump back in, there is a key that goes into the pump pulley to line it up and keep it secure - Can a person get the pump itself 180 degrees off in some manner, or do you just line up the key to the pulley? (Pulley is locked in place right now.)

Thanks for your time,

It will take a wrench, you can turn it over with the sprocket on by hand though.

If you have the cam set correctly and the engine on TDC line up the timing mark and your off to the races. Sorta.
Get yourself a Bentley and read up.
dan

99 Golf TDI (now CNG powered) , 82 TD Caddy

Reply #3November 13, 2008, 08:13:17 am

gigaz2

• Veteran

1.9 TD Questions
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 08:13:17 am »
if after assembly it only starts on a very specific timing and only after a lot of cranking and bleeding, and has no power at all, then its 180 off
just reindex the sprocket to the other hole and it will start at te first turn of the key, no matter how much the timing is off!

mine was off by a tooth after reindexing and still started at the first crank :O

Reply #4November 13, 2008, 10:14:11 am

DonkeyWorx

• User+

1.9 TD Questions
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 10:14:11 am »
Thank you for all the replies. Very helpful.

Couple more things I will add to help clarify some of the responses you all posted.

- This is a 1.9 TD out of a late 90's Jetta = there is only ONE small hole on the pump pulley.

- This engine is in a Sidekick, so the timing mark is now on the front of the motor (I transferred the timing mark to the front with a pointer before I installed it)

- When I pulled the Pump, I locked the Pump Sprocket with the appropriate pin tool, clamped the belt on the cam sprocket and clamped the belt on the Pump sprocket. I also placed an old radiator hose between the belt and the pump / cam sprocket to keep tension on the belt. (Hope that makes sense). I also marked the belt and IP sprocket for reference.

- Before pulling the pump, I marked the pump and pump mount (scribed).

So, to get back to getting the pump 180 degrees out, this is NOT possible right?

Thanks again!

Reply #5November 13, 2008, 07:58:03 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
1.9 TD Questions
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 07:58:03 pm »
From the sounds of it, your pump looks like this right?

If so, it is impossible to get it on 180 out. If you locked the cam, crank and did not loosen the tensioner you can reinstall the pump without chaging the timing. Make sure to spin the motor over by hand to make sure nothing is hitting.
Tyler

Reply #6November 14, 2008, 11:05:45 am

DonkeyWorx

• User+

1.9 TD Questions
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 11:05:45 am »
Tyler,

No, my pulley looks like this:

And yes, the pulley is locked in place with the pin, and the belt clamped to the pulley (both Pump Pulley and Cam Pulley)