Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Leaking vent on 1.6td pump  (Read 1812 times)

November 12, 2008, 02:55:53 pm

1life2live

Leaking vent on 1.6td pump
« on: November 12, 2008, 02:55:53 pm »
so what i believe to be an atmospheric vent on the injection pump just below the boost line on the top of the pump is dribbling fuel, just enough to make a mess and have me concerned. The pump is a fresh rebuild and im not sure if they have it slightly out of adjustment or maybe theres a faulty seal

heres a pic of the vent i found here on another post:

Reply #1November 12, 2008, 04:06:54 pm

1life2live

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 04:06:54 pm »
So if this is definatly the problem i am going to take the pump back to the place that rebuilt it. no offense im sure you do great work but like i said it was just rebuilt and has only been on the car running for about two weeks. i thought maybe it was a simple fuel adjustment. well i guess the ol diesel has to come off the road again unless you think that this repair can be done while the pump is still on the car?

Reply #2November 12, 2008, 07:03:22 pm

1life2live

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 07:03:22 pm »
Quote from: "libbybapa"
No offense taken.  That's what I'd do.  Just putting it out there.  

The lid can be removed with the pump still on the car.  Cleanliness and the accelerator lever springs are the biggest issues.

Andrew

when you say lid im guessing your talking about the four screws on the top that hold the top plate to the diaphram for the turbos boost fuel adjust? If so this sounds like something i could remove myself and inspect before i take the car to them to be looked at. im all about doing it myself and if it saves me time driving 45 min both ways to have it looked at im al for it. What springs are you talking about? do you have a picture?
Thanks again
travis

Reply #3November 12, 2008, 07:11:15 pm

Vincent Waldon

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• My collection of HOWTOs
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 07:11:15 pm »
Nope, unfortunately the top of the IP has to come off (not just the diaphram lid)... which means removing all of the springs that curl around the throttle shaft.

Not difficult but you'll want to take some pictures so you can remember how the springs go back.  You also need to clearly mark how the throttle shaft is aligned to the throttle lever... and clean the pump very very thoroughly.

If any of the above sounds concerning you may simply want to take it back to whoever resealed it in the first place and say "fix please !!".
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3, 1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Fixmyvw.com