S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Tuning 1.9td  (Read 3186 times)

June 26, 2005, 05:47:22 am

TD_vento

• User+

Tuning 1.9td
« on: June 26, 2005, 05:47:22 am »
I read the tuning guide in the FAQ but still have a few questions unanswered.  The wastegate type in my engine looks like the one in this picture, I think i can still can increase boost by just adjusting the nut on the wastegate, can someone confirm this?

The screws on the diesel pump also look different from the one in the faq guide than in my 1.9td so im a bit unsure what screw does what.

Im showing about 10psi at the moment, car runs nice and dosent seem to give black smoke.  I also have an intercooler here which ill install shortly.

thanks

[/img][/url]

Reply #1June 26, 2005, 07:23:09 am

Baxter

Tuning 1.9td
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 07:23:09 am »
Aye lad.
Wind the allen screw IN to increase boost.

Reply #2June 26, 2005, 10:53:47 am

TD_vento

• User+

Tuning 1.9td
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 10:53:47 am »
Screw clockwise by using the little hole in the headless bolt and not the nut right?

Im not sure how to add more fuel now?

Intercooler is almost in, will go to the junkyard to get some hoses for the remaining piping on the top near manifold as the g60 piping isnt enough.

thanks

Reply #3June 28, 2005, 05:17:10 pm

TD_vento

• User+

Tuning 1.9td
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 05:17:10 pm »
Anybody :? this forum seems to be dead :?

Reply #4June 28, 2005, 09:16:29 pm

Otis2

• Junior

Tuning 1.9td
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 09:16:29 pm »
I wouldn't go so far as to say, "dead".  ;)

People probably just thought you'd find your answer already in the Smog FAQ.

It would be best if you could post a photo of your pump, so we see how it differs from the one illustrated in Smog's FAQ thread.  That thread already has a photo of where the main fuelling screw is located (screw #5 on his photo).

The screw you are looking for has an anti-tamper "collar" stuck around it, and a 13 mm lock nut below that collar.  The collar is there to prevent it from being screwed for too much "performance", and it has to be broken off to make major changes to the screw position.  I used a Dremel tool with a small cut-off wheel.

After getting rid of the collar, and then loosening the lock nut, turn the screw clockwise to increase fueling, and anti-clockwise to reduce your smoke cloud.  A little goes a long way... each 1/8 turn in either direction will have a noticeable effect.  If your engine is running while you are *slowly* turning that screw clockwise, you will notice your idle speed increase.  Fuelling is increased throughout the rpm range.  If the idle gets too high, you can drop the idle independently of the main fuelling screw, with the separate idle control screws, as Smog explains in the FAQ.

Watch what happens to the screw when you turn the 13 mm lock nut, too, as it's easy to change the screw position accidentally that way.

Reply #5June 30, 2005, 09:23:43 am

TD_vento

• User+

Tuning 1.9td
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2005, 09:23:43 am »
Installed the intercooler the other day, i lost about 1 1/2 psi, tried to turn the boost up a little bit more but i couldnt see any increase, i turned the little allen bolt on the w gate clockwise about 1.5 turns, surley with that much i should have seen some increase in boost.  I was getting 10 psi before the ic now i have around 8.5, Im using a G60 intercooler.  I may have a leak which is probably is showing no change when i move the w/gate or maybe the w/gate is faulty?  Overall the car pulls much smoother and has more guts up top.  The fuel screw is still not touched so really looking forwards to when i can run 15 psi and more fuel.

Reply #6June 30, 2005, 04:16:48 pm

Patrick

• Veteran

Tuning 1.9td
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2005, 04:16:48 pm »
You may need to run more fuel to get more boost. Takes haet to make boost, takes fuel to make heat..............................

Reply #7July 09, 2005, 11:46:23 am

deepmud

• Junior

Tuning 1.9td
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2005, 11:46:23 am »
On my 1.9td, I put a T line into the tube feeding boost psi to the controller(I cut the hard line right where your red arrow is pointing). Then I ran the line into the cab, and adjust boost by adjusting how much pressure I bleed off. I am using clear vinyl tubing with the T and bleed controller from WalMart for fish tanks. With no bleed valve on the end of the tube I get about 16 psi. I have it dialed to about 12psi now.

On the intercooler - you may be experiencing pressure drop from restiction, but also the intercooler makes the air smaller - you'd have to feed in more pressure at the beginning to get the same pressure out, just from the air cooling and condensing - so while you are getting less psi, you may yet be getting more actual molecules of air, depending on how much the intercooler dropping the air temp.
the 1.9TD/Suzuki w/big tires guy
visit Alaska @ www.alaska4x4network.com