Author Topic: First time removing head  (Read 4372 times)

June 20, 2005, 08:54:23 pm

leprechan

• Junior

First time removing head
« on: June 20, 2005, 08:54:23 pm »
Hey everyone,

I recently blew a head gasket in my 1.6na jetta and I started to tear the top end apart, but I'm having a little trouble getting the head off.  I followed the bentley instructions to a T(or so I thought).  The bentley said nothing about taking the cam out so that is still attached, as well as the injection pump.  When I try to lift the head off the engine it hangs up on the rear timing belt cover around the injection pump.  Any suggestions from you expert vw mechanics would sure make life easier.  Thanks in advance.

Nick

91' Jetta 1.6na, Monster Power!

Reply #1June 20, 2005, 09:56:29 pm

watsongs

• Junior

First time removing head
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 09:56:29 pm »
Well, I would start by taking off the cover.  I just removed my head last week, and took off all the overs so I could get the belt off - I'm not sure how you could get it off without it, but mine's a 1.5.  I also had a hell of a time with the manifolds - I ended up taking a sawzall to my resonator, which was rusted out anyway.  Now I'm dealing with worn valve guides and injection nozzles, but at least everything else looks ok.
Greg Watson
'79 Rabbit, 1.5 liters of fun...
If they can get you to ask the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers...

Reply #2June 20, 2005, 10:07:38 pm

leprechan

• Junior

First time removing head
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 10:07:38 pm »
The belt has already been removed.  What I called the cover is that thin metal plate that is behind the timing belt.  Did you have to remove the cam sprocket to remove your head?  If so, whats the best way to pry that thing off of there?
91' Jetta 1.6na, Monster Power!

Reply #3June 21, 2005, 12:44:44 am

watsongs

• Junior

First time removing head
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 12:44:44 am »
I did pull mine off, but it came off pretty easy witha gear puller I got in the bargain bin at Ace Hardware - no such luck on the IP pulley, though, I'm still working on that one.
Greg Watson
'79 Rabbit, 1.5 liters of fun...
If they can get you to ask the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers...

Reply #4June 21, 2005, 06:14:34 pm

chrissev

• Veteran

First time removing head
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 06:14:34 pm »
Quote from: "leprechan"
The belt has already been removed.  What I called the cover is that thin metal plate that is behind the timing belt.  Did you have to remove the cam sprocket to remove your head?  If so, whats the best way to pry that thing off of there?

I believe the cam sprocket must come off, as the camshaft goes through a hole in the metal timing belt cover which, if you have not yet discovered, cannot be removed without first removing everything on that side of the engine including the injection pump.  The cam sprocket is removed with a puller.  It must be removed anyway before you put the timing belt back on in order to get the belt centered so you might as well do it now.  You need a fairly heavy duty puller for this job.  Someone once told me you could hit it off with a hammer...I did not see how when I did my belt, and also I think you would damage either the camshaft or the sprocket by doing this.
88 Jetta TD....sold for $1000, bought an 06 Cobalt, clearing out the diesel jetta stuff now

Reply #5June 28, 2005, 06:25:47 pm

fillmore

• Junior

• http://fillmorenorthband.tripod.com
First time removing head
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 06:25:47 pm »
i used a pipe wrench and a hammer to get mine off

Fixmyvw.com