Author Topic: axle shaft seals  (Read 4430 times)

June 07, 2005, 12:18:56 pm

Rat407

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

axle shaft seals
« on: June 07, 2005, 12:18:56 pm »
OK I can't find my first post on this.  I can't get my drive flanges to push back so I can get the C clip off the transmission drive axle. I bent a 1/2 plate bar stock.  Someone said that they used an air hammer on the drive axle and it let the flange move. I guess that is my last hope. Any other idea's? I don't want to damage the drive flanges.  could I heat the flange? Ever since I brought this car home it has been one thing after another, nothing has been a normal repair, it has all been issues. Is it just me or what? I'm following the Bentley. I'm not giving up, I will prevail.

AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants & Filtration Systems, Click Here
Wholesale pricing available!
1991 Jetta  ECO TD

Reply #1June 07, 2005, 01:08:21 pm

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

axle shaft seals
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 01:08:21 pm »
Is the trans in the car or out?  This would be easier if it were out, but anway... take a small block of wood that's big enough to cover the flange surface, and give it a good firm crack with a heavy hammer.  Not a dinky carpenter hammer but something with weight.  Watch the flange (but be careful of your fingers!) when you hit it, and it should move in (and pop back out) a little.  Now try your special "tool" to compress the flange and see if it works.  If not, turn the flange back and fourth a couple times and try with the hammer again.  I'd be afraid of using an air hammer on the output shaft, especially if the stock diff still has rivets instead of bolts in it.  All else fails, you will probably have to install the "tool" on the flange, then get a small drill and carefully drill apart the circlip to get the flange off.  Just dont nick the output shaft!

Good luck.

Brendan
84 Scirocco 8v
00 Camaro L36 M49
81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green

Reply #2June 07, 2005, 01:37:09 pm

Rat407

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

axle shaft seals
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 01:37:09 pm »
I'll give it a try.  Thanks! :D
1991 Jetta  ECO TD

Reply #3June 08, 2005, 08:02:37 pm

chrissev

• Veteran

Re: axle shaft seals
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 08:02:37 pm »
Quote from: "Rat407"
OK I can't find my first post on this.  I can't get my drive flanges to push back so I can get the C clip off the transmission drive axle. I bent a 1/2 plate bar stock.  Someone said that they used an air hammer on the drive axle and it let the flange move. I guess that is my last hope. Any other idea's? I don't want to damage the drive flanges.  could I heat the flange? Ever since I brought this car home it has been one thing after another, nothing has been a normal repair, it has all been issues. Is it just me or what? I'm following the Bentley. I'm not giving up, I will prevail.

you might be able to hammer a small flat head screwdriver in behind the circlip and twist it out.  I did that on my car.  I hammered the screwdriver in at the end of the circlip (where the space is in the letter "C") and then pried the clip out.  Then I used a puller to remove the driveshaft flange.  What has probably happened is water has gotten in behind the flange and rusted it to the driveshaft splines.  If you manage to get the circlip out the way I said and you get a puller on the flange, be sure to stand back.  Those flanges are spring loaded.
88 Jetta TD....sold for $1000, bought an 06 Cobalt, clearing out the diesel jetta stuff now

Reply #4June 08, 2005, 10:11:11 pm

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

Re: axle shaft seals
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 10:11:11 pm »
Quote from: "chrissev"

be sure to stand back.  Those flanges are spring loaded.

Ya.  Learned that the hard way.  I was using a "makeshift" tool to compress the flanges, it was remnants of an old hub puller, and when I popped the circlip and started to loosen it up, the bolt slipped free and I had just enough time to tilt my face down before the flange conked me in the forehead.  OUCH!   :oops:

Brendan
84 Scirocco 8v
00 Camaro L36 M49
81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green

Reply #5June 20, 2005, 05:26:56 am

Rat407

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

axle shaft seals
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 05:26:56 am »
I was able to get the seals changed out. Turns out that all I had to do was remove the c clip, there wasn't any pressure against it at all. Then I just installed my home made puller and pulled the output shafts, replaced the seals, pressed on the cleaned up output shaft, cup washer and new c clip and I'm back in buisness. Since I tried this before and had issues this was about the third transmission oil drain and refill with fresh fluid. Now my shifting has improved a ton. I guess a good flush with three drains and refills made a difference some how. :D
1991 Jetta  ECO TD

Fixmyvw.com