S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: 84 MK1 1.6D N/A 5spd 4 door in Mississauga :(  (Read 3365 times)

September 16, 2008, 12:18:08 pm

zozie

• Junior

• Rotoconcept Robotics
84 MK1 1.6D N/A 5spd 4 door in Mississauga :(
« on: September 16, 2008, 12:18:08 pm »
My greatly beloved MK1 1.6D N/A 4D jetta with 5spd is  looking for a new home. I got this baby exactly a year ago. It really is breaking my heart because I don’t think I ever loved a car before but I have no choice as I’m going up to Yukon for about a year. (just got my helicopter licesne)
It had 139.000KMS on it, it now has 158.000. It sat for well over 4 years so it needed a lot of attention.
I’m going to start with the bad first:
Body is far from good, good from far. As you can see on the picture, I just butchered the cowl as it was leaking water on the fuse box. Suddenly all the electronix started working.
Needs the fuel tank replaced as it leaks a bit when topped up, (Included with the car along with a brand new brake booster that the smart mechanic made me buy for $250)
Has a small hole on the left rocker by the lower door hinge where the rust proofing hole is. Little ding in the R ¼ panel. Rockers, floors, towers are mint. The previous owner had it seriously rust proofed…. Even on the engine L. Sometimes drips a bit of oil. I don’t know from where and I don’t know why only sometimes. (sometimes doesn’t miss a single drop for 5000km’s other times I put in about 500ml between changes)L rear tail light is cracked and I haven’t been able to find another one. Needs a temp switch for the fan. (Fan works when fed from batt)

The good:
Starts first flip in any weather, last winter I never plugged it in and started without hesitation even in –12C. (Thanx brand new battery and original compression)
Gets almost 60MPG (I did 850km/s on the 40 liter tank many times)
Only smokes when cold or when beating on it.
Acceleration is lame, but adequate, top speed is an indicated 160km/h  8)  while the GPS is clocking 145 :lol:  :lol:
Items replaced while in my possession:
4 wheel bearings, Vacuum pump, timing belt, 2 rear springs, master brake cylinder, front callipers, rear cylinders. Pads, shoes, rotors, machined drums. Original VW water pump with thermostat from dealer, new battery, 14 inch steel rims with new snow tires. Complete new exhaust starting at the downpipe, front strut mounts with bearings. Got the windshield changed recently, but 2 weeks after got chipped by a rock flying off a dump truck L, minor stuff like all filters, wipers bulbs and so on……Rad also looks brand new but I didn’t do that.
Other than the exhaust, and callipers, EVERYTHING came from VW.
Did also some bushings in the front suspension. I was going to do the shocks at the same time with the strut mounts but the mechanic said no need at all.

Now the tough part. I paid quite a lot for the car considering what it was, and I spent a LOT on it. Now it stands me exactly as much as my 2000 B5 1.8T. Of course I’m not expecting to get all of it back but keep that in mind.
Accepting reasonable offers, no LOW ballers please.

Just trying to pix... should be here in a few minutes.
and here they are
http://s499.photobucket.com/albums/rr353/zozie82/

Reply #1September 16, 2008, 01:23:14 pm

zukgod1

• Veteran

84 MK1 1.6D N/A 5spd 4 door in Mississauga :(
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 01:23:14 pm »

dan

99 Golf TDI (now CNG powered) , 82 TD Caddy