Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: safe amount of boost  (Read 3345 times)

June 07, 2005, 02:52:11 pm

RSI

safe amount of boost
« on: June 07, 2005, 02:52:11 pm »
ok my friend has a bug tdi and wants to turn up the boost a little but i dont know what the stock boost is and what a safe amount of boost to run on stock everything is so help a fella out  :)

Reply #1June 08, 2005, 06:22:28 am

RedRotors

• Veteran

• http://www.mikrotuning.com
Re: safe amount of boost
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 06:22:28 am »
Quote from: "RSI"
ok my friend has a bug tdi and wants to turn up the boost a little but i dont know what the stock boost is and what a safe amount of boost to run on stock everything is so help a fella out  :)

First, welcome aboard and please fill your location ID. You can't increase the boost on a TDI like we can do on IDI engines.. A chip or an electronic boost bleed will do the trick. 12psi is close to the stock value, and the engine can easily hold 19psi subst. But raising the boost w/o adding fuel will give you nothing..

Marc/
2k1 Golf TDI, 11mm pump, HFLOX Warp 5, VNT17, Wavetrac, 4" Lift
91' VW Golf Country
94' Dodge RAM 2500, 4x4, Cummins, 5 spds, 191's, 215hp injectors, SB Clutch
03' Dodge RAM 2500, 4x4, Cummins, 6 spds, MBPR 4 ", custom intake, Smarty Jr

-> www.mikrotuning.com <-
-> www.hflox.com <-

Reply #2June 08, 2005, 12:57:54 pm

RSI

safe amount of boost
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 12:57:54 pm »
so i cant adjust the boost on her car.... can you just put a mbc on there and adjust it?

Reply #3June 08, 2005, 01:17:13 pm

RedRotors

• Veteran

• http://www.mikrotuning.com
safe amount of boost
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 01:17:13 pm »
Quote from: "RSI"
so i cant adjust the boost on her car.... can you just put a mbc on there and adjust it?

Unfortunatly not.. The only way to raise the boost cheaply is with an electronic boost bleed ( fooling the MAP ).. But as i said, you will get ZERO gain if you don't add fuel..

Marc/
2k1 Golf TDI, 11mm pump, HFLOX Warp 5, VNT17, Wavetrac, 4" Lift
91' VW Golf Country
94' Dodge RAM 2500, 4x4, Cummins, 5 spds, 191's, 215hp injectors, SB Clutch
03' Dodge RAM 2500, 4x4, Cummins, 6 spds, MBPR 4 ", custom intake, Smarty Jr

-> www.mikrotuning.com <-
-> www.hflox.com <-

Reply #4June 10, 2005, 09:03:36 am

Vhunter

Chip it!
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2005, 09:03:36 am »
IF you are looking to reduce a large amount of soot being belched on acceleration, upping the boost would help burn the fuel better, giving a little better power.. BUT it is hard to do..  Better to reduce the injected
fuel quantity by adjusting the IQ setting in the ECU parameters with a VAG oriented OBD-ii tool.

BUT, IF you are really looking for more power /(insert tool man tim tayor grunts)/ you are going to need more fuel.  Two ways to do that,  as bigger injectors, or a chip/tuneing box, depending on how much you want to spend..
I would go with a chip, as they are not all that costly, and will be matched better fuel to boost.  Better control of soot, and smooth power.

Larger Injectors would add more fuel, but the cost will be more than a chip.  Also, you are still stuck with the stock boost levels unless you fool
the computer somehow.  Not the best as you will be going out on the edges of the smoke map. Giving you lots of soot loading in your oil, and a car that looks like a scared squid when it takes off!   :oops:

A chip with the larger injectors would give even more power, but unless the software is made for the larger injectors, you will want to back down the injection quantity a little to keep from fogging people.

Another thing to think about, if you up the power much,  if you don't have an automatic tranny, you will probably want to uprate your clutch as
the stock one will 'probably' not handle it (some older TDI's had a different 'better' clutch).  This means more $$$

Best bang for buck would be a mild chip.  It might help with fuel economy
due to a slight timeing advance.. if you keep your foot out of it!  :twisted:

Hope that helps a little.
99.5 Silver Jetta TDI-
.205 injectors, RC3.1, VR6/G-60 clutch, DG oil cooler,short shifter
Skidplate, E-codes, TT 3" cat back, Eurocluster.