S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Almost Shiftless  (Read 3902 times)

September 04, 2008, 12:48:21 pm

vwwv

• User+

Almost Shiftless
« on: September 04, 2008, 12:48:21 pm »
Well, my trusty local independent mechanic has failed to correct the shift problems on my 86 Jetta n/a diesel.  I provided him with a kit which included all the bushings, shift relay with ball, etc.  but the problems remain.  The problem originally was that seemingly overnight I had difficulty finding reverse and 1st gear.  With the kit installed, the shifting is improved but now there is the problem that I do not have to depress the shifter rod to get into reverse but if I pull up on the shifter it will apparently strike the "bar" to prevent transition over far enough to slide into reverse.  He now says that it must be the ball mechanism on the base of the shifter rods that is worn and is not able to push the shifter rod upwards.   The current available motion is about 1/8th inch travel but I think I remember more travel than that before the problem arose.  He suggests replacing that ball mechanism.  My question is:  Has anyone (everyone?) experienced this and, if so, how did you correct it?  I read in my Bentley that the front exhaust has to be taken down to access this.   Would I be better off going to a transmission shop for this fix?  BTW, the kit I purchased has the shifter alignment tool.  I haven't yet found a source for the shifter rod and may end up going the salvage yard route?     Thank you for any suggestions.         Paul

1996 Passat tdi, 86 Jetta idi, 90 Jetta idi, 89 Suburban, 94 Polaris 4x4 ATV.

Reply #1September 04, 2008, 12:50:40 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
Almost Shiftless
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 12:50:40 pm »
We can get the shifter ball repair kit at work.

Are all your motor mounts good?

Take the shifter boot (inside the car) off and have a look at the nylon gate when you are shifting into 1/R and also pulling up. That should tell you if it is the ball that is worn.

Where are you located?
Tyler

Reply #2September 04, 2008, 01:15:58 pm

vwwv

• User+

Almost Shiftless
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 01:15:58 pm »
Quote from: "burn_your_money"
We can get the shifter ball repair kit at work.

Are all your motor mounts good?

Take the shifter boot (inside the car) off and have a look at the nylon gate when you are shifting into 1/R and also pulling up. That should tell you if it is the ball that is worn.

Where are you located?

Thanks for the response.  You have helped me before re: alternators.  I'm in north central West Virginia.  I'll look at the shifter gate but I'm not sure I know what I'm looking for?    Paul

Reply #3September 04, 2008, 01:35:39 pm

the caveman

• Veteran

Almost Shiftless
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 01:35:39 pm »
If the ball and socket are very worn, it will be hard to address anything else before replacing them. Unfortunely it is one of those jobs where that part cost nothing but the labor is lots. Part of the exhaust must be dropped and the heat shield removed. But you also said that it is hard to shift into 1st and reverse.Are you sure the clutch is releasing? try shifting when the motor is stopped. If it goes into gear then it's either the clutch adjustment or the clutch is shot.
" I'm a vegetarian,not because i love animals, it's because i hate plants"
1970 Type 3 fastback
1972 Renault 12
1971 Super Beetle 140 HP 159 ft lbs
1987 Fox
1989 TD Jetta
1990 Fox
1989 Fox
1998 TDI Jetta
1990 T3 German MIL Transporter 1.9 na Giles super pump
1997 Jetta GLX TDI

Reply #4September 04, 2008, 04:42:14 pm

vwwv

• User+

Almost Shiftless
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 04:42:14 pm »
Quote from: "the caveman"
If the ball and socket are very worn, it will be hard to address anything else before replacing them. Unfortunely it is one of those jobs where that part cost nothing but the labor is lots. Part of the exhaust must be dropped and the heat shield removed. But you also said that it is hard to shift into 1st and reverse.Are you sure the clutch is releasing? try shifting when the motor is stopped. If it goes into gear then it's either the clutch adjustment or the clutch is shot.

Thank you for the response, Caveman.  Clutch appears to be okay as it can't be shifted with the clutch engaged and engine off.  I'm beginning to believe that the shifter rod ball is bad.  Ah well, I can drive it and I'm ready to put it in hibernation in the next 3 or 4 weeks.  If I don't find an easy fix beforehand, I'll worry about it next spring.  Paul

Reply #5September 04, 2008, 05:32:17 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
Almost Shiftless
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 05:32:17 pm »
You should add synchros to your list caveman
Tyler

Reply #6September 05, 2008, 05:12:34 pm

vwwv

• User+

Almost Shiftless
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 05:12:34 pm »
Tyler and Caveman,

Update:  Decided that the nylon plate (?gate?) that the nylon part of the shift rod contacts was worn enough to permit the shift rod to go into the reverse position without depressing it...so I removed it by taking out the rivits holding it and wallowing out the rivit holes to permit it to drop down enough to interrupt the movement of the shifter rod and to require a depression of the shift rod to get into reverse.  Once I took it out, I saw some VW part numbers and I contacted World Impex who had the part in stock!  Very inexpensive with USPS 4 times the price of the part.  Here's the tricky part.  I don't have replacement rivits so all- thread was inserted through the rivit holes to capture a nut....then the nylon gate was re-installed over the all-thread...a nut was installed...and the all-thread cut off with a hacksaw blade.  As soon as the new part arrives I'll install it easy as pie.  Getting the console back on will be the more difficult part, I think.

Reply #7September 05, 2008, 06:49:32 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
Almost Shiftless
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 06:49:32 pm »
Hopefully this fixes it
Tyler