S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: How to convert a tdi to a mecanical injection pump?????????  (Read 9784 times)

September 02, 2008, 03:23:05 pm

big specht

How to convert a tdi to a mecanical injection pump?????????
« on: September 02, 2008, 03:23:05 pm »
I have a 98 tdi jetta that has a bad body and I'm planing on pulling the motor and putting it in a 86 golf I have with a 1.6na in it now. will a 1.6td injection  pump bolt up too a 1.9??? and can I use the stock 1.6 diesel tranny on the 1.9 . Or has any body done this yet and have some pics. THANKS

PS I'm going to list the rest of the car in the classified section later

Reply #1September 04, 2008, 10:24:59 pm

oldskool rich

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 10:24:59 pm »
the tranny will fit but it wont be up to much, the pump wont, M-TDI isnt just an IDI pump on a TDI. you eather need to convert ur pump which i wudnt recomend or buy a cable operated TDI pump and make it fit.

you cud just run the ecu and fly by wire off the jetta, might be easyest way, tbh id run the jetta gear box if you can get drive shafts that fit

f6squared I.D.S.T

Reply #2September 04, 2008, 11:15:29 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 11:15:29 pm »
Quote from: "oldskool rich"
the tranny will fit but it wont be up to much, the pump wont, M-TDI isnt just an IDI pump on a TDI. you eather need to convert ur pump which i wudnt recomend or buy a cable operated TDI pump and make it fit.

you cud just run the ecu and fly by wire off the jetta, might be easyest way, tbh id run the jetta gear box if you can get drive shafts that fit

by cable operated TDI pump...are you referring to the "ultra rare" it seems, actual, mechanical "TDI" pump that is out there in one form or another? Argh...if only they weren't like finding lumps of gold on this side anyways.

Also, converted pumps work great if the work is done correctly or by a professional that is known for doing the pump work. There are key considerations to take into account for the conversion and MANY different pumps out there that will work as a base pump for the mTDI conversion. Doing it right is often the negative side of this story....but it can be done. There are several threads now that mention some of the considerations that need to be done to successfully convert, so I'm not going through them again...but a major part of my and others contributions to this topic is available in the FAQ.

Joe
1979 Rabbit mTDI crazy $*(\%& bunny...
1972 VW Westfalia
2009 VW Tiguan SE 2.0T (Wife's car)
2001 Audi TT 225 Quattro Roadster (something newer :) )

Reply #3September 06, 2008, 02:09:59 pm

big specht

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 02:09:59 pm »
I found some of the info after I posted that I didn't know thta thsy were called MTDI's once I searched that I found alot of info.

Any ways will the 1.6 tranny hold up to the 1.9???? and do they ahve the same goofy clutch set up??

Reply #4September 06, 2008, 09:21:14 pm

oldskool rich

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 09:21:14 pm »
the tranny will take about 140bhp at a guess, i was running the same in my aaz and it fell apart at about 200. ull have to run the backwards set up. over here its realy easy to get a cable TDI pump, can pick one up for about £30+ and then sell the stock pump for about £80+ dont know why everyone doesnt bother

there are lots of different pumps that will fit, not just VW

f6squared I.D.S.T

Reply #5September 08, 2008, 12:43:00 am

markd89

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 12:43:00 am »
Quote from: "oldskool rich"
the tranny will take about 140bhp at a guess, i was running the same in my aaz and it fell apart at about 200. ull have to run the backwards set up. over here its realy easy to get a cable TDI pump, can pick one up for about £30+ and then sell the stock pump for about £80+ dont know why everyone doesnt bother

there are lots of different pumps that will fit, not just VW

Can you give some examples? (I have cousins in the UK)

Thanks
Mark

Reply #6September 08, 2008, 07:14:37 am

Ziptar

• Veteran

mTDI / TDI-M Injection Pump FAQ
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 07:14:37 am »
Details on the "Factory mTDI 12mm Pump"

You can roll your own too, read the mTDI / TDI-M Injection Pump FAQ

or contact Giles at Performance Diesel Injection Ltd, and have one built.

Reply #7September 08, 2008, 10:03:06 am

oldskool rich

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 10:03:06 am »
will this pump hav a 12mm pump piston? if so can i take the pp and head out of this and put it on an 11mm bosch pump?

f6squared I.D.S.T