Author Topic: chewed flange cap!  (Read 4404 times)

July 28, 2008, 04:44:52 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

chewed flange cap!
« on: July 28, 2008, 04:44:52 pm »
Ok, so I needed to change the clutch for the past two years and finally got around to it last week. Anyways, in changing the output shaft seals I noticed the drivers side flange center cap had a .5 inch hole in the middle of it, apparently the output shaft and driveshaft are pinching it as they turn and chewed right through it. What on earth makes the two shafts that close together? About a year and a half ago I put a new empi driveshaft in, maybe it's too long :roll:. That would be my luck. Thanks

'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #1July 29, 2008, 10:01:44 am

Dakotakid

• Veteran

chewed flange cap!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 10:01:44 am »
Did someone (you?) damage the little cap when it was installed?? As in use a socket to pop it in place only to go too far with it initially??

I do not have my Bentley in front of me....but there are supposed to be a  spacer washer and then a spring washer that goes on the axle shaft prior to the placement of the inside cv joint on that axle shaft. The outer aspect of the cv joint (as in towards the side of the car) butts up against these as it bears thrust on the axle shaft machined shoulder.

There should be an exploded illustration of this in the Bentley.
On one side of the inner cv joint, there is the circlip which keeps the joint on the shaft. On the other side of this same cv joint are these two washer/shims (whatever they are called) (which I have made reference to above).
If these were omitted, it would seem to contribute to a certain amount of lateral "float" of the axle.....perhaps responsible for the hogged out cap.  Other than that, I would see how much lateral movement is in the shaft exitting the trans. Bearing problems??

Got a picture?
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #2July 29, 2008, 02:05:08 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

chewed flange cap!
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 02:05:08 pm »
Did someone (you?) damage the little cap when it was installed?? As in use a socket to pop it in place only to go too far with it initially??

I've never taken the cap out.
As for the washers behind the inner CV joint, I'll have to check, I got a complete shaft with both joints on it so not sure if the spacers are there or not. That could very well be it. I'll check.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.

Reply #3July 29, 2008, 11:53:47 pm

Dakotakid

• Veteran

chewed flange cap!
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 11:53:47 pm »
I looked in a Bentley tonight. I was wrong about there being two washers on this inner cv joint. There is only one. It is referred to as a "dished washer." Note: I am making reference to a Mk. II axle. It has been a long time since I touched Mk. I, but I think they are the same.

It is the outer joint which has the two. Here you find a dished and a thrust.

I do continue to believe you may be lacking this dished washer. I apologize for misinformation.
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #4July 30, 2008, 02:39:53 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

chewed flange cap!
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 02:39:53 pm »
yeah I checked that and I do have the dished washer.

I wrote brokevw.com and he said I could grind the driveshaft a bit and the tranny output shaft to make more room in there.

I just had a brainstorm.....you know the slotted holes in the control arm that the balljoint bolts into. Maybe I need to slide the balljoint out on the arm all the way to give the driveshaft more room. What are those slots for anyways? I always thought it was another camber adjustment but thats adjusted with the strut mount.

Reply #5July 30, 2008, 03:13:58 pm

zukgod1

• Veteran

chewed flange cap!
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 03:13:58 pm »
Quote from: "rabbitman"
yeah I checked that and I do have the dished washer.

I wrote brokevw.com and he said I could grind the driveshaft a bit and the tranny output shaft to make more room in there.

I just had a brainstorm.....you know the slotted holes in the control arm that the balljoint bolts into. Maybe I need to slide the balljoint out on the arm all the way to give the driveshaft more room. What are those slots for anyways? I always thought it was another camber adjustment but thats adjusted with the strut mount.

Good idea on the ball joint. And if you are referring to where the strut mounts to the knuckle than yes that can be another adjustment for camber. Caster really isn't adjustable on these things.
dan

99 Golf TDI (now CNG powered) , 82 TD Caddy

Reply #6July 30, 2008, 03:46:20 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

chewed flange cap!
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 03:46:20 pm »
:cry:  :cry: I just checked.....the slotted holes must've only been on mk2s, not mk1s.....sniff. I just ordered the seals from my uncle and he said it'll probably last a while before the seal gets a hole in it again so I'll send a few of 'em. Maybe I'll just to grind the shafts anyways, they probably only hit the seal once in a while so a little grinding might fix it.

Reply #7July 30, 2008, 04:28:11 pm

zukgod1

• Veteran

chewed flange cap!
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 04:28:11 pm »
That's true, may only take 1/16" maybe 1/8" max?
Either would be easy.
dan

99 Golf TDI (now CNG powered) , 82 TD Caddy

Reply #8July 30, 2008, 10:37:43 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

chewed flange cap!
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 10:37:43 pm »
Ok, so I ground almost an 1/8th inch off the driveshaft and maybe a 1/16th off the output shaft, put the tranny back in (did the clutch)and the end of the driveshaft misses the output shaft by nearly an inch with the car sitting on the wheels. Maybe if I hit a bump when driving the driveshaft will get a bit closer. I got new seals coming so I'll see what happens.

Reply #9July 31, 2008, 12:31:25 am

Dakotakid

• Veteran

chewed flange cap!
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 12:31:25 am »
I wonder if that unit-body has sustained a some trauma (lateral force) over the years. Or if the control arm could have taken a blow....like slide it sideways on ice and tap a curb.

Ya, I know....impossible questions to answer. Wow, when I think about some things I have done in winter driving conditions with several of these cars......gulp!!! For instance, I overcooked a corner on a dirt road, spent a couple of hundred feet finding my way back onto the road surface (at speed), and quickly became aware that the control arm had hidden rust problems. It didn't fully break at the seam....but, it did open up and s-t-r-e-t-c-h that metal.

Reply #10September 11, 2008, 01:15:28 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

chewed flange cap!
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 01:15:28 pm »
Well I finally got the parts yesterday....stubborn shipping guy I guess. Put it back together w/ new control arms. It feels great to drive the ol' rabbit again. Now I gotta put the VNT on, 2.25" exhaust, put new IP bushings in, blablabla. Later though.

Fixmyvw.com