Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Vanagon Transmissions?  (Read 2734 times)

August 24, 2008, 01:46:31 pm

Powered by Spearco

• Veteran

Vanagon Transmissions?
« on: August 24, 2008, 01:46:31 pm »
I just bought an '86 Vanagon "ASI" conversion. I'm wanting to convert it to 1.6TD. Are the gas transmissions the same ratios as the diesels, keeping in mind that I'll need to swap the bellhousing to mate the engine together.

'87 Syncro Transporter Single Cab "Now TDI"
'78 Rabbit..Gas Weekend Racer
'81 Caddy..Diesel 1.6/1.9 TD hybrid 275HP 349TQ "Retired"
'90 MultiVan, 2.5 Suby Swap, Porsche Brakes
'76 Scirocco TD dragster project
'13 Golf R:. Tuned
'98 Puch G320

Reply #1August 24, 2008, 04:03:15 pm

Powered by Spearco

• Veteran

Vanagon Transmissions?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 04:03:15 pm »
Well I was thinking of getting one of those engines from ebay that was from a TD Vanagon from the start. Quality German Auto Parts in Montclair,CA. Item #260277438086.
Then getting a bellhousing to mate them.
How would one shorten the input shaft? Remove it and machine it or what?
As for the starter, is it Vanagon specific for diesel or is it a Mk2 or Mk1 Golf, Jetta?
Josh
'98 Puch G320

Reply #2August 24, 2008, 04:20:16 pm

Powered by Spearco

• Veteran

Vanagon Transmissions?
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 04:20:16 pm »
Hey bapa, would you look at the listing for me? Let me know what you think of it and the seller.  :roll:  :oops:  For this would be my first TD Vanagon conversion  :oops: .
'98 Puch G320

Reply #3August 24, 2008, 05:00:18 pm

Dakotakid

• Veteran

Vanagon Transmissions?
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 05:00:18 pm »
Yes, please report back to us on those folks in Montclair, Calif.
I have been so curious re: their engines.
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #4August 24, 2008, 06:02:04 pm

Sam Johnson

• Junior

Post Subject
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 06:02:04 pm »
With respect to Quality German two of us purchased AAZ engines around the same time in March 2008.  David had problems with his original engine and took it back.  Fortunately, he lives in the LA area.  Tomas eventually swapped him another engine that seems to be working well.  

As I live in Tucson if my engine needed to be returned it would have been more of a problem.  But so far I have not had any problems with my engine and am getting 27-28 mpg in a 1988 Vanagon GL with a stock transmission.  The kit I bought from Quality German was quite complete.   It only lacked an air filter.  This is easy to solve by buying a Caravan air filter from your nearest salvage yard.   I also added an external oil cooler and Saab intercooler and with 100+ degrees F (39 C) in Tucson my oil temp sits right at 210-15 degrees F (40C).

We have both found that we need to have our IPs resealed.  In my opinion this is really not a problem with the engines from Quality German but simply the result of the lower sulphur diesel after many years of the higher sulphur diesel fuel.  Red-Rider on ebay resealed my IP and I am very pleased with the quality and speed of his work.  Anyone that buys a used AAZ should expect to have to reseal their IP-sooner or later!

I doubt if Quality German really knows exactly how many miles (kms) the engines they sell have actually traveled.  The AAZ engines are more than 10 years old and if they have less than 100,000 km as many are claimed to be they have been sitting around somewhere for a very long time.   For certain the buyer must beware and needs to have a clear understanding with Tomas about returning the engine if it turns out to have problems.

You can contact me if you have any questions.

Regards,  Sam
Tucson, AZ

Reply #5August 24, 2008, 10:58:43 pm