Author Topic: Quick Q - Fuel screw Adjustment  (Read 2394 times)

May 31, 2005, 12:32:44 pm

SteveH

• User+

Quick Q - Fuel screw Adjustment
« on: May 31, 2005, 12:32:44 pm »
All,
  So today I decided to go out and mess with my fuel (load) screw.  I started out by giving it a 90' turn, which didn't seem to do much...So then I gave it a full 360'.  Holy crap batman  :lol: .  My question is this:  Is this too much adjustment ?  I just want to be assured that Im not gonna blow my EGT's up too high.

Thanks !
  Steve

Reply #1May 31, 2005, 12:54:01 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 12:54:01 pm »
You need to tell us more about your car and setup if we are able to answer that; you have included very little information.  What kind of engine is this?  What mods have you made?  Do you have an EGT gauge?

If everything else is stock, IMO, cranking up *any* additional fueling, especially the amount you are talking about, risks melting your piston tops.  Although there are some up here that have successfully run hotter than the factory combustion chamber temperature settings without any problems, I would proceed with caution and not overdo it.  A best strategy is to do mods that cool down EGTs first (intercooler, big exhaust) before cranking up the fueling.  And then use and monitor peak EGTs with a pyrometer if you want to know how hot it is getting and want to know how much more room you might have to go.

If you have an EGT gauge, the factory pre-turbine thermal limit of the 1.6lTD, as published in the 1.6lTD SAE paper and also verified by me before I did any mods to mine, is 1500 deg. F.  IMO, exceed that temperature "at your own risk."  Note that this is a true "peak" and not measured while the needle is moving, IE: measured at wide open throttle with the engine braked as needed to maintain full fueling for an extended duration, IE: until the temp needle of the pyrometer stops rising.
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #2May 31, 2005, 05:36:31 pm

SteveH

• User+

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 05:36:31 pm »
All,
 Sorry, I was on my way out the door...I should have reviewed the post before I submitted it.  Regardless, its a stock ECO 1V motor.  I don't have a pyrometer, which is why I was kinda wondering what is 'safe'.

Thanks again,
  Steve

Fixmyvw.com