Author Topic: Put in a sunroof yesterday  (Read 4431 times)

May 22, 2005, 10:17:57 pm

srivett

• Veteran

Put in a sunroof yesterday
« on: May 22, 2005, 10:17:57 pm »
I got in my car yesterday and it was so hot that I drove it right to the wrecker.   :twisted:   I ripped a generic aftermarket sunroof from a firefly and that was that.  It cost me 40 bucks and if I could have found another one of the same size I could have grabbed a second piece of glass for 20 bucks.  Removing the frame was pretty easy and took 10 minutes using a philips screwdriver.  

Putting it in was a bit of a mess and I regret not using gloves when applying the urethane.  Once it cures it can't come off but solvent will work when cleaning a fresh mistake.  I also suggest cutting a template from cardboard and then tracing that onto your roof instead of tracing the sunroof frame on the roof.  This will guarantee a close fit and no drama.   :P  Putting two layers of duct tape around your cut will make it easy to see what you're trying to cut and protect the finish from the jigsaw.  Also remove all your rings when doing the cutting, I scratched my roof up with my Engineering ring.  I didn't take any precautions on the inside other than putting down a drop cloth.  My headliner was bad enough that I didn't care if I ruined it but it turned out okay.  The coolest thing about this sunroof is that can be removed from the frame in seconds if you don't want it opened in any of the other 3 positions.

Steve

http://chat.carleton.ca/~srivett/IMG_0812.jpg
http://chat.carleton.ca/~srivett/IMG_0815.jpg

1992 1.6D Golf - 412K km
Mint except for chipped paint, no rust :)

Reply #1May 23, 2005, 12:39:35 am

vwmike

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 12:39:35 am »
You have no idea how much this would sadden most people. We have sent multiple cars to the crusher simply because someone put in an aftermarket sunroof.

Reply #2May 23, 2005, 01:48:52 am

srivett

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 01:48:52 am »
You've got my attention.  Please go into more detail.  Are you talking about safety? (I did cut through a rib but perhaps I could have gotten a smaller sunroof to avoid that)  Are you talking about style?  Are you talking about replacement part availability?

Steve
1992 1.6D Golf - 412K km

Reply #3May 23, 2005, 07:45:55 pm

Red Rabbit

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 07:45:55 pm »
Hey Steve..... this forum is for UPGRADES.....not downgrades... :lol: just kidding....(sort of).......
No I am NOT in denial!!!!!

Reply #4May 24, 2005, 03:23:33 am

vwmike

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 03:23:33 am »
Quote from: "srivett"
You've got my attention.  Please go into more detail.  Are you talking about safety? (I did cut through a rib but perhaps I could have gotten a smaller sunroof to avoid that)  Are you talking about style?  Are you talking about replacement part availability?

Steve

Well, really the bottom line is you cut a hole in the roof. That can't be undone short of reskinning the roof. Usually they leak (pouring water on the occupants and rusting out the floors), they're bad for structual rigidity, and in the opinion of most people they look pretty bad. I've made it a point to avoid sunroofs whenever possible. Of course, it's a little late now....

Reply #5May 24, 2005, 10:11:55 pm

greggearhead

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 10:11:55 pm »
Eh, for enjoyability, I say do what you like, it is a VW, not a Benltey or something.  

Yeah, I understand the aprehension some people have to aftermarket sunroofs, but I enjoy cars with sunroofs so much more I can understand putting one in.
Caddy (TD Project), Caddy 1.6D, etc etc.

Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection

Reply #6July 03, 2005, 08:14:27 pm

srivett

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2005, 08:14:27 pm »
Man do I love it!  Couldn't be happier so far.  The only time I've gotten wet was at a touchless car wash.  I usually avoid it but I got a free carwash for trading 35 bucks in change for bills...that sucker blows my paint off too so I generally handwash the car.

Steve
1992 1.6D Golf - 412K km

Reply #7July 04, 2005, 08:18:49 am

VWRacer

• Veteran

Re: Put in a sunroof yesterday
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2005, 08:18:49 am »
Quote from: "srivett"
Putting two layers of duct tape around your cut will make it easy to see what you're trying to cut and protect the finish from the jigsaw.

Good on ya, Steve...ignore the boffins! ;)
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #8August 16, 2005, 01:08:05 pm

A Guy

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2005, 01:08:05 pm »
did you make a shelf around the perimeter of the cut for rigidity or did you leave it straight cut.  I am intregued by this because I too would like to do this to my 91 1.6 D.  I have a parts Pathfinder with a beautiful sunroof that is very easily removable that is itching to be donated.  Any Pic would be great.  
Is there a Max width or lenght one can go with out cutting anything structural?  I didn't think there was much to the roof other than a connecting point for the 3 sets of pillars and the front and rear glass.  Is this incorrect?

Reply #9August 18, 2005, 01:09:32 am

srivett

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2005, 01:09:32 am »
I didn't form the edges at all.  Also, I still haven't pulled down the ceiling to cut out the rest of the rib or redo the fabric.  The wind blowing through the cutout has seperated every last bit of the fabric to the backing so it would be worth stretching the new fabric up around the cutout.  The only rib I saw is straight across somewhere between the windshield and door pillar.  My windshield hasn't cracked anymore than it already was so a rust-free car will tolerate losing a bit of the roof. :)

Steve
1992 1.6D Golf - 412K km

Reply #10August 18, 2005, 06:37:23 am

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2005, 06:37:23 am »
its a mkII jetta, there are a lot of good bodies around. its not like he destroyed a classic or something, i think it was a good move, i like my sunroof  :)

if anyone wants an entire roof with sunroof from a mkII jetta 4-dr (1990), let me know.

Reply #11January 22, 2006, 08:29:59 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2006, 08:29:59 pm »
Quote from: "BlackTieTD"
its a mkII jetta, there are a lot of good bodies around. its not like he destroyed a classic or something, i think it was a good move, i like my sunroof  :)

if anyone wants an entire roof with sunroof from a mkII jetta 4-dr (1990), let me know.
  as long as he cut up a 4 door it would be ok,but not a 2 door,,that wouldnt be too cool,,not too many around,ive got a 2 door 91 jetta,,ill never cut it up,,its my stock survivor creampuff ride,,i use it for pimpin,,its my "nice" car,
Throttle cables ftw