Author Topic: Tow bar for Mk II Jetta?  (Read 3966 times)

May 22, 2005, 08:11:03 am

Patrick

• Veteran

Tow bar for Mk II Jetta?
« on: May 22, 2005, 08:11:03 am »
Anybody ever had a good look at one of these? My beer and potato chip money comes from running an old road grader in my spare time on laneways, parking lots, horse tracks, etc.  I've always wanted to hook the car behind the grader to take it with me. Had a bar figured out for my mark 1 jetta, but the car is history. Where and how do tow bars mount on mark 2 cars? I need to build something, and I'd rather build for the jetta than my truck. Any good pictures anywhere? I just don't see a lot of solid/heavy frame parts under the front of these cars!

Looking for ideas......................

Reply #1May 24, 2005, 11:26:18 pm

srivett

• Veteran

Tow bar for Mk II Jetta?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 11:26:18 pm »
I saw one of those today for 99.99CDN in Sudbury.  That's the new price at a local store...you could probably order one from Princess Auto but that's not where I saw one.  Anyway, it is just an adjustable A-frame with a ball coupler.  I'm sure you've seen them. :)  

You just bolt through the bumper (there are no safety cushions on A2s...bumpers are directly bolted on but have some weakened spots)  To get the bumper cover off for inspection you have to remove the bumper and remove some wedges.  Then you'd notch the cover so that you can bolt the hitch angle iron right to the bumper.

Here's a picture of my A2 rear bumper.  I'm told the front ones are the same.  Another option is to buy an earlier A2 bumper without the plastic and swap that on your car along with a hitch whenever you want to tow.  The car is not structuraly sound without a front bumper and must not be driven.

http://chat.carleton.ca/~srivett/bumper001.jpg

Steve
1992 1.6D Golf - 412K km
Mint except for chipped paint, no rust :)

Reply #2May 25, 2005, 08:10:29 pm

Patrick

• Veteran

Tow bar for Mk II Jetta?
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 08:10:29 pm »
The tow bar isn't the problem, and I'll build it to suit the grader hookup anyway. Just wondered where to bolt onto the car. I'd decided to hook to the bumper on my mark one, I guess that's the best bet on a mark 2 too!