S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Turbo shop recommendation SW Ontario?  (Read 5064 times)

May 20, 2005, 09:33:09 am

MacGyver

• Junior

Turbo shop recommendation SW Ontario?
« on: May 20, 2005, 09:33:09 am »
My dad's 1998 TDI (AHU) has issues once again...this time it's the turbo.
Exhaust side oil seal at a minimum to be exact.

I know a local shop in ST Thomas by name only, not reputation.
There's another place we've heard of in Chatham but unsure of.

Any suggestions, positive feedback?
Thanks 8)

Oh, dad's in Leamington, but anywhere good would be...good :wink:

Reply #1May 20, 2005, 11:04:37 pm

srivett

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 11:04:37 pm »
I was talking to a mechanic that repaired International Trucks and he said that they did not deal with rebuilt or repaired turbos.  It was his experience that fixing them would end up costing more in the long run.  

My knowledge is limited to pulling apart a KKK turbo and it was very difficult to do.  They really get stuck together because of the heat they generate.

Steve
1992 1.6D Golf - 412K km
Mint except for chipped paint, no rust :)

Reply #2May 21, 2005, 01:25:01 pm

Patrick

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2005, 01:25:01 pm »
Chatham Fuel injection is probably the place you've heard of. THere's also a german guy on highway three somewhere that does a lot of work for the airplane guys. He did one for  me a lot of years ago that was on an 855 ci Cummins, worked good. I've been trying to figure out how to find him again to have him go through my spare.

Reply #3May 21, 2005, 03:21:33 pm

MacGyver

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2005, 03:21:33 pm »
Do you remember where the german guy was? Sheddon maybe?
Cherry Turbos in ST Thomas is (or at least used to be) run by a german guy (can't remember his name), then he moved out to Sheddon/Fingal for a few years, now he's back in ST Thomas. Been in business since 1989.
Perhaps the same guy?
I'm going to check in with him on Tues, see if he's equipped to balance small automotive turbos. I presume that's important...?

Reply #4May 21, 2005, 07:28:04 pm

Patrick

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2005, 07:28:04 pm »
Sounds familiar. This guy had a really nice workshop set up in an old two story bank barn. My big truck guru (from downtown Muirkirk) sent me there. Parked my truck in '93, so it was before that. Memory is a little hazy!

Chatham Fuel Injection leased John Ter Horst's place in London, and have now hired him to run it again for a while. He told me that they do turbos, but he just sends them to Chatham, doesn't do them himself. I think it's pretty standard to just dump in a new cartridge.

Reply #5May 22, 2005, 07:01:38 pm

MacGyver

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2005, 07:01:38 pm »
It occurred to me today, I think his name is Herman.
And I do remember him proudly displaying some $$$ piece of equipment for airplane turbo work, in an EXTREMELY clean room.
Anyway, he's on my 'to call' list for Tues morning 8)
So thanks for the memory jogs!

I actually work with John's son, so I've been privy to changes at his shop before they happen :wink:
Also bought parts from him & had him do IDI injectors before, great guy to deal with.

Reply #6May 23, 2005, 06:25:14 am

Patrick

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2005, 06:25:14 am »
Herman sounds right.

Always got along good with John too. He used to look after the pump on my Kenworth, and he had me buy the injectors stright from the dealer and bring them to him to be set up. You'd be amazed at how bad the cummins top stop injectors are out of the box!

Did an emergency pump job in his parking lot one day too. Pump went out of my Perkins (pickup) with a horse trailer on the back. I pulled th pump, and he went through it and had me back on the road in hours.

Reply #7May 30, 2005, 06:36:57 pm

MacGyver

• Junior

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2005, 06:36:57 pm »
Well, my dad was used to dealing with Roy's diesel in London from his farming days, so got a new one there.
Not bad actually, $810+tx and even though it's new, they want the old one exchange.
Which is fine, turns out the shaft was broken :shock:

So...now he's rebuilt the motor, then replaced the head, now the turbo too.
With any luck it should hold together for a few weeks... :!:

Reply #8May 31, 2005, 05:18:06 am

Patrick

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2005, 05:18:06 am »
Just curious. A guy I went to high school with (in the stone age!) used to work for John and then eventually moved to Roy's.Can't even remember his name now, but he would be in his early forty's. This guy was the one that the teachers at the  high school hired after hours to do rebuilds etc. when he was still in school. He was into volvos last I heard..........

Ring any bells?

Reply #9May 31, 2005, 01:04:15 pm

MacGyver

• Junior

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2005, 01:04:15 pm »
My 'source' here says could have been a guy named Paul.

That's before my time dealing with J&M aka John.
My first visit there was to have 1.6TD injectors rebuilt around 1994-5.
Also bought a throttle shaft seal from him once, charged me $2...and gave me some install hints! :lol:

Reply #10May 31, 2005, 07:09:44 pm

Patrick

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2005, 07:09:44 pm »
Used to get John to do the pump in my big truck, half the price of a cummins rebuild and a better warrantee. He did an emergency job on the perkins in my pickup once too. I pulled it out of the truck in the parking lot and he did it on the spot. as for "paul", not sure.

Fixmyvw.com