Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Some questions about GTD  (Read 1848 times)

June 26, 2008, 10:44:25 am

Mosquito

Some questions about GTD
« on: June 26, 2008, 10:44:25 am »
Hi, everyone!
I`m new here and new in TD`s, so I`ve got some questions to you. Maybe there are already answers here, but search didn`t give me anytging what I wanted.  :)

I`ve got a 1993 mk3 GTD 55 kW, as I understood this is 1.9l TD (AAZ) engine, same simple as the tracktor engine, no electronics...nothing. Am I right? So what is the difference between this one and...1z engine or any other 66kW?

Is that possible to increase power?

And by the way, where I can decipher VIN-code?

Thx  :)

Reply #1June 26, 2008, 11:03:49 am

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

Some questions about GTD
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 11:03:49 am »
You are working with an IDI motor (Indirect Injected) vs. a TDI which is a DI motor (Direct Injected). Without going into the complexities of the differences between the two.
IDI's do not require any electronics other than the fuel stop solenoid on the injection pump to run. Factory TDI's require a electronic injection pump controlled by an ECM and a array of sensors, etc. TDI's can be made to run mechanially like an IDI motor....known as mTDI (m representing mechanical).

You'll want to post in the IDI Engine forums here to get more information on power increases to your AAZ motor as they differ between IDI and TDI depending on what you are looking at. I can tell you that you'll want to look at injection pump/fueling adjustments, GTD nozzles or similar and increasing boost/possibly upgrading the turbo charger (to a unit that can support more boost) as starting points.

Lots of GREAT info in the IDI engine forums.

Joe
1979 Rabbit mTDI crazy $*(\%& bunny...
1972 VW Westfalia
2009 VW Tiguan SE 2.0T (Wife's car)
2001 Audi TT 225 Quattro Roadster (something newer :) )

Reply #2June 26, 2008, 11:14:42 am

Mosquito

Some questions about GTD
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 11:14:42 am »
Thx man :)
Sorry, that posted in here :roll:

Fixmyvw.com