Author Topic: '91 Eco---Turbo Oil Return Line Leak?  (Read 1866 times)

May 12, 2005, 11:16:11 pm

Bludodger

• User+

'91 Eco---Turbo Oil Return Line Leak?
« on: May 12, 2005, 11:16:11 pm »
As subject suggests, I think I have a leak in my oil return line. It is still installed and I am having trouble getting it out to inspect so I haven't been able to confirm this. This is what I know...I lost about 3/4 qt. oil in 100 mile trip. There is oil all along the the flex part of the hose and the solid hose is dry (no oil). The turbo itself is stained with oil around return outlet but not seeping oil. However, the motor mount that the line runs through is coated in oil as well as pan.

I have a bunch of questions since this is my first turbo...

1) Should I start by removing the oil return line to see if that is what is leaking? I haven't been able to find much on that line leaking in archive so I am wondering if I should be looking elsewhere?

2) If I should remove the line, how do I do it? I know its 27mm or 1 1/16 in. and that I should use a crows foot wrench but what else can I use?
27 mm ain't the easiest size to find.

3) How do I identify if the hose is actually leaking once I have it off?

4) If I find it is leaking, what do I replace it with?

All help is welcome

Thanks

Andrew

Reply #1May 13, 2005, 05:36:51 pm

DieselMonkey

• Junior

Turbo return pipe
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 05:36:51 pm »
Those return pipes are very hard to get off with the turbo in place. My advice would be.. go and get 4 new turbine housing > downpipe nuts and washers (M8 i think).

Remove the turbo with the return line attached, solve the problem and then replace the pair togeather. I really dont think you will get the 2 bolts off the turbo's bearing housing. They are 10 mm, and yours could possibly have a 'T30' (torx) drive in the middle like the sump bolts. Theres just no room to swing anything on the one closest the rocker cover. I actually removed the compressor housing once to get that off, would have been easier and quicker to remove the turbo and manifold.

The 90bhp TDi's are so much easier to work on than the AAZ motor with the turbo mounted at the top.

The large banjo bolt on the back off the block is 24mm i think, i've removed 3 this week and always lift a 1", which is a loose fit....so i assume its a 24 head.

Odd this part leaking, its under no pressure and no excessive temperatures either.

Good luck with it. DM