S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: 04 TDI PD motor to swap into Caddy-- Nightmare Project???  (Read 3790 times)

June 14, 2008, 07:37:58 pm

AudiVWguy

04 TDI PD motor to swap into Caddy-- Nightmare Project???
« on: June 14, 2008, 07:37:58 pm »
Hi everybody,
I met a guy who has a 2004 TDI PD motor for sale. Engine code BEW. 85k Included are brackets, intake/EGR system, and high pressure fuel pump. Missing is the exhaust manifold, turbo, oil feed line, dipstick and guide tube.
I would like to drop this in my caddy. So I have a lot of questions on whats it gonna take to make this work?

Will my 020 five speed bolt up?
Can the existing pump be converted to run without the ECU? How much $$?
Is the throttle drive-by-wire?
Should I look for a wiring harness and ECU? How much $$?
How much to replace/upgrade the exhaust and VNT turbo?
What else have I missed??

This could be a great opportunity cause the guy was saying about $800 for the motor. Suppose to be nothing wrong with it. Cracked the oil pan. The guy is a factory VW mechanic, I'll get the whole story when I meet him tomorrow.
Anyone tried to do this swap with this new a motor?
Thanks for your help,
Jeff Babcock

Reply #1June 14, 2008, 08:10:29 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

Re: 04 TDI PD motor to swap into Caddy-- Nightmare Project?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 08:10:29 pm »
Quote from: "AudiVWguy"
Hi everybody,
I met a guy who has a 2004 TDI PD motor for sale. Engine code BEW. 85k Included are brackets, intake/EGR system, and high pressure fuel pump. Missing is the exhaust manifold, turbo, oil feed line, dipstick and guide tube.
I would like to drop this in my caddy. So I have a lot of questions on whats it gonna take to make this work?

Will my 020 five speed bolt up?
Can the existing pump be converted to run without the ECU? How much $$?
Is the throttle drive-by-wire?
Should I look for a wiring harness and ECU? How much $$?
How much to replace/upgrade the exhaust and VNT turbo?
What else have I missed??

This could be a great opportunity cause the guy was saying about $800 for the motor. Suppose to be nothing wrong with it. Cracked the oil pan. The guy is a factory VW mechanic, I'll get the whole story when I meet him tomorrow.
Anyone tried to do this swap with this new a motor?
Thanks for your help,
Jeff Babcock

The tranny would "bolt up" but you'd destroy the tranny in very short order. Get the correct tranny...at least an 02a CTN trans...or an 02j from a ALH motor.

A PD motor doesn't use a "injection pump" persay...it does have a high pressure fuel pump but the injectors themselves act as their own "injection pumps"...piezo injectors. So...can it be made to run "mechanically" No.

There are talks about a standalone system on there and also using the ALH wiring harness for use in the PD swap. But mechanical is not possible. All of it is electronic...

If your hunting for a ECU and harness....look at spending anywhere between 400-600 unless you find someone with a good deal.

If you "upgrade" the turbo..not sure what your going too...your looking at 600+ there and a couple hundred in an exhaust...

The PD swap has been done with just about all the VW platforms at this point. Its a matter of having all the bits to do the swap. Still not too bad of a deal considering the price they are asking for the motor as long as the cracked oil pan did cause any starvation...

Joe
1979 Rabbit mTDI crazy $*(\%& bunny...
1972 VW Westfalia
2009 VW Tiguan SE 2.0T (Wife's car)
2001 Audi TT 225 Quattro Roadster (something newer :) )

Reply #2June 14, 2008, 08:36:27 pm

Tintin

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 08:36:27 pm »
This EDC16 ecu is probably hard to find and $$$,  but you can buy an european EDC15 ECU for PD engine: since 1999.5 european 100,115,130,150HP motor.

Use ALH modified wiring with this ECU and....  enjoy.

Reply #3June 19, 2008, 10:27:39 pm

AudiVWguy

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 10:27:39 pm »
OK, so here's the update.
The motor looks great. Just to be sure I pulled the rods and mains to see how they looked. Only thing I could find was one of the rods had a couple of little marks in it, nothing major, nothing worn or damaged. So I would like to replace the rods and mains anyway just to be on the safe side. Can you rotate in new mains without removing the crankshaft? Anybody tried this? Also I'm used to putting on timing belts on the older engines, what's the procedure for the PD motors?
Also I need to source a wiring harness and ECU for this motor. I heard there was a 150 hp ECU for this motor. Is that correct? Is it possible to flash the potential ECU for more hp? Please help me get up to speed on the performance options since I have to buy a wiring harness and ECU anyway what are my best choices?
Thanks,
-JB