Author Topic: Crankshaft seal goove wear  (Read 3441 times)

June 12, 2008, 02:16:44 pm

Dakotakid

• Veteran

Crankshaft seal goove wear
« on: June 12, 2008, 02:16:44 pm »
How bad (how deep) does the groove made by the seal (over many miles) on the front (#1 cylinder end) of the crankshaft have to be before you guys pay to have it powdercoated and cut back down????
I'm taking about when you are overhauling the engine.
I guess the question obviously pertains to the rear seal surface as well, although that end does not tend to see as much "free dust" as the belt end.
It's great to end up with a nice, dry engine after a rebuild. But, it doesn't come cheap! My guess is that very few of you guys do???? Could be wrong..........closet of T-shirts!!!

The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #1June 12, 2008, 03:58:26 pm

zukgod1

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 03:58:26 pm »
I don't know if there is a specific depth or dimension for it.
I use common sense, if there are any sharp edges as you run your nail over the grove then it needs to be addressed, if the grove is visible but not rough then I'll leave it alone and when seating the seal I'll place the seal on a different place on the crank.
I haven't looked but for some applications there are sleeves for this very problem.

I've had a few that actually have very sharp edges where the seal rides to the point of running a file over the area then filling the grove with JB weld then using a fine Emery cloth to polish the surface. Then same deal, place the seal on a different place when seating it so it doesn't ride on that same spot.
dan

99 Golf TDI (now CNG powered) , 82 TD Caddy

Reply #2June 13, 2008, 12:52:04 am

duffer

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 12:52:04 am »
There's an outfit called "Speedi-Sleeves"
 that makes the sleeves for just this
 purpose: www2.vsm.skf.com/usa/node929.aspx

Reply #3June 13, 2008, 10:13:20 pm

jasonsansfleece

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 10:13:20 pm »
I used speedie-sleeves on a recent rebuild. One of the shafts (and I cant remember which) had to long a "nose" and the supplied installation tool was not deep enough. A trip to the hardware store and I had a PVC pipe coupler that fitted against the sleeves flange and gave the depth needed.
Guy

S-PAutomotive.com