Author Topic: 1.6 TD cam questions  (Read 4093 times)

May 30, 2008, 06:13:05 am

rabbitpower

• User+

1.6 TD cam questions
« on: May 30, 2008, 06:13:05 am »
Just took the tappet cover off to inspect the cam and followers on my newly aquired 86 TD. The tips of the lobes show some wear as well as some chipping/pitting on the tips of the lobes. It seems that every 1.6 hydraulic cam I ever see has some sort of wear. The older Mechanical lifter engines never seemed to do this. I want to replace the cam, will any hydro cam work out of a 1.6?. My next step is to pop the head off and check the entire thing out.

Reply #1May 30, 2008, 08:06:24 am

rabbitpower

• User+

1.6 TD cam questions
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 08:06:24 am »
Sorry for the general questions, but what are the best options for rebuilding a hydraulic head? Should I try to have the valves surfaced, install new cam followers, valve seals etc. Is it cheaper to buy a rebuilt head?.

Reply #2June 03, 2008, 10:39:00 am

rabbitpower

• User+

1.6 TD cam questions
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 10:39:00 am »
OK, I guess I'll try elsewhere. Apparently new members with new questions are not welcome here?. I did read the FAQ. Sorry to have bothered anyone.

Reply #3June 03, 2008, 11:05:32 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
1.6 TD cam questions
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 11:05:32 am »
I am sorry dude. I try not to comment on stuff I don't have expertise in, but that being said I will try to help you here eventhough I don't know it all.
I would have everything replaced: valves, seals, precombustion chambers- have them peened back in- I think any cam will work from any 1.6L hydro turbo or non but don't quote on that.
The exhaust valves especially in these engines take abuse, I will upgrade my na diesel with the sodium filled turbo valves when it is time. As far as cost of new head vs reman vs rebuilt I don't know, but I do know VW new is EXPENSIVE and aftermarket are just that you never are for sure what you get most are good, but if you get a bad one then it isn't any cheaper if you do it twice. I have some pretty good places to take stuff in the machine shop realm, so that is what I do. I know if it is done right then. I hope this helps and stick with this forum...you'll appriciate it when you do get a response because usually it is not from someone like me, but someone that actually know what is up. Those guys aren't on here as much as the rest of us. Still I am sorry no one responded sooner.

Reply #4June 03, 2008, 12:59:46 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
1.6 TD cam questions
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 12:59:46 pm »
In regards to where to have the head rebuilt, you should add your location to your profile so we can recommend a place. There are members from all over the world on this board.
Tyler

Reply #5June 04, 2008, 05:27:14 am

rabbitpower

• User+

1.6 TD cam questions
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 05:27:14 am »
Quote from: "theman53"
. I hope this helps and stick with this forum...you'll appriciate it when you do get a response because usually it is not from someone like me, but someone that actually know what is up. Those guys aren't on here as much as the rest of us. Still I am sorry no one responded sooner.

Hey thanks. I guess The Vortex has made me a little bitter. My name is Jake. I have worked on Vw diesels for about 14 years. I have owned many of them ( About 20) but all have been NA powered 1.5 and 1.6. I am now venturing into the Hydraulic world of the Turbo diesel for which I have no manuals so everything I learn comes from sites like this. I take every response into consideration because we all have different experiences and I like to see what others have done, did it work etc. It's getting tougher ( At least in Mi where I live) to keep this old stuff running. I have a 78 and 79 rabbit diesel. The 79 is being converted to a turbo diesel. I will admit that the amount of information here on GTD is a little overwhelming. I gotta hand it to you guys out there that have tinkered with this stuff and really made it rip. I will be watching because when the gas price armageddon finally comes and every gasser is sidelined we will be able to run on Crisco and used bacon grease!

Reply #6June 04, 2008, 12:14:01 pm

Quantum TD

• Veteran

Reply #7June 04, 2008, 01:15:58 pm

rabbitpower

• User+

1.6 TD cam questions
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 01:15:58 pm »
I measured a mechanical lifter cam and it is about .200 thinner. The profile looks very close, but the hyd cam has more surface area to contact the follower. I am guessing that the Hyd cams wear more because they are in constant contact with the bucket underneath whereas mech cams have clearance?

Reply #8June 04, 2008, 02:18:16 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

1.6 TD cam questions
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 02:18:16 pm »
The Topline cams have the same part #, mechanical, hydro or turbo.

I tried to get one a few months ago and they were out and the factory didn't have any either so maybe they're discontinued.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #9June 05, 2008, 12:39:49 pm

rabbitpower

• User+

1.6 TD cam questions
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 12:39:49 pm »
Thanks,

I have a few old mechanical cams laying around. I'll cross one of those to the one in the engine. I also have a new set of intake valves for a mechanical head. I was told these will work but not the exhaust valves ( I have a set of mechanical exhaust valves too. Thanks all for the help!

Reply #10June 06, 2008, 01:12:45 pm

rabbitpower

• User+

1.6 TD cam questions
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 01:12:45 pm »
Crap. Well, I guess if I ever want to rebuild a 1.6 NA I have all of the parts!. I am a little confused on hydraulic valves though. I understand why the mech ones wont work however I keep calling different places asking for turbo diesel valves and some places quote $50 bucks apiece and others are like $14. I keep getting told that after a certain year Vw quit making turbo heads and just made one head that fit both turbo AND NA hydraulic engines. I am not sure who to believe. One camp says yes there are different valves another says they are the same. I guess I could find out really quickly using the "Meltdown test".

Reply #11June 08, 2008, 01:24:13 pm

rabbitpower

• User+

1.6 TD cam questions
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 01:24:13 pm »
Ok, I am looking at 2 cylinder heads, one is a known 1.6 NA hydraulic head and the other is a known 1.6 TD Head. Both blocks are ME I believe. The part number for both heads are the same, the camshaft numbers are the same. I found only 1 physical difference:

Above the main oil return on the front of the head there are little "Fins" cast into the head that the NA head does not have.

S-PAutomotive.com