Author Topic: Setting up the timing advance on a Mtdi  (Read 4709 times)

May 08, 2008, 08:37:35 am

alphawerks

Setting up the timing advance on a Mtdi
« on: May 08, 2008, 08:37:35 am »
I have a 10mm tdi pump and an AZZ pump which I am building into a M-pump.
The head/rotor/springs are no problem, I have modified my control lever assy so the mounting hole to pivot pin offset is reduced to 10 mm on center from 12 mm stock to give enough motion of the control collar and  retain good govenor control. If needed the distance from the throttle shaft to govenor cage assembly pivot will be extended from 12mm to 14mm.

Now for the dynamic timing.
I will start with the tdi timing cover front and back. The TDI timing spring and plunger will be swaped over, as well as the pressure relief plug beside the fuel inlet and the fuel outlet bango.

What else would be recomended in the way of parts?
What rate of internal pump pressure (psi / pump rpm plot) would be recomended?

Other than this would anyone have information on standard tdi injection timing (degrees BTDC of crank) at cranking / idle / 2,3,4000 rpm? I could figure it out from this if needed.

Thanks for anything you wish to share!

Ryan

Reply #1May 08, 2008, 06:50:25 pm

Tintin

• Veteran

Setting up the timing advance on a Mtdi
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 06:50:25 pm »
You need also to modify the lever assembly, It's the one screwed with the triangular bolt each side of the pump,  to make more motion to the control collar.....   but like you describe, It's better than a stock AAZ pump motion.

You are good, but the only pieces that you have to put in the garbage It's the TDI pressure relief valve, It's not conceived to work on the mechanical pump, because the internal pressure on the electronic pump is setting higher than that is required for the timing piston, and It's the N108 wich bleed + or - the pressure at the back of the timing piston to set the timing at what the ECU request...  so this pressure valve is setting at the max and have a softer spring on it, too soft to mach with a mechanical pump.

With TDI came plate and 10mm head....  PM me I will give you what is the correct pressure valve (regulator valve) and adjustment procedure to work with your internal pump set-up.

I take into consideration that you have install the TDI came plate and TDI 10mm head in your AAZ pump, if not the explanation are not totally good for you.

Also, the AAZ timing piston system is better and easier to adjust than the TDI one you install.

Set the initial timing at 1.00mm dial gauge and... enjoy..!!

S-PAutomotive.com