Author Topic: 86 golf diesel, hard to start, no power  (Read 4438 times)

May 05, 2008, 03:39:35 pm

malkuth23

• http://www.shuteyephotography.com
86 golf diesel, hard to start, no power
« on: May 05, 2008, 03:39:35 pm »
I bought an 86 golf 5spd non-turbo.  It has been hard to start, but ran fine once it got going.  I recently replaced all the glow plugs and the fuel filter...  Afterwards it is nearly impossible to start and if I manage to get it going it has almost no power.

I bled the fuel lines, the glow plugs are working... what is my next step?  could I have messed up something with the glowplugs so I am not getting the correct compression?  I went to buy a compression test kit, but I am not sure what size adapter I need.

I am new to diesels in general, any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks,
matt

Reply #1May 05, 2008, 09:33:55 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 09:33:55 pm »
How tight did you put the glow plugs in? if it is too tight they will fail prematurely.

How did you check that they are working?
Tyler

Reply #2May 05, 2008, 10:12:19 pm

malkuth23

• http://www.shuteyephotography.com
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 10:12:19 pm »
I fired the glowplugs up several times in a row and the engine block where the glow plugs enter became warmer... also the dome light dims when the glow plug light is on...

perhaps not the most exact way, but I am not sure how else to do it.

once the car is started would bad glow plugs make it run poorly? Or are they just used for startup?

I noticed today the drive belt feels loose.  That is the next thing I will work on tomorrow.  Not sure if that could cause this problem...

The person who helped me install the glow plugs seems to think it is a fuel pump problem, but when I bled the lines by loosening the fuel lines into injectors, fuel sprayed out, so fuel is making it that far at least... not sure if that proves the pump is working properly though.

Reply #3May 06, 2008, 02:06:14 pm

riddleyo

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 02:06:14 pm »
You mentioned you changed the fuel filter. Did you fill the fuel filter with diesel before installing it?
1985 VW Golf Diesel 1.6L N/A
My Build Thread: http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=14607.0

Reply #4May 06, 2008, 09:35:24 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 09:35:24 pm »
Quote from: "malkuth23"

The person who helped me install the glow plugs seems to think it is a fuel pump problem, but when I bled the lines by loosening the fuel lines into injectors, fuel sprayed out, so fuel is making it that far at least... not sure if that proves the pump is working properly though.

All that really proves is that the pump is still capable of pumping fuel. Timing and metering still need to be accounted for, as well as proper pressures.

When you say the drive belt is loose, are you refering to the timing belt? If so it's suppose to be semi loose. You should be able to turn it 45 degrees before feeling a sharp increase in resistance. I know it isn't the most accurate way to measure the tension. If you over tighten it you risk premature bearing wear, usually in the pump or also the possibilty of snapping the belt. My friend broke his brand new timing belt in 5 minutes because he overtightened it. Luckily it was a gasser and non interference.

If the lights are dimming you probably have some electrical issues but it is a good indication that at least the majority of the plugs are working.

The glows plugs will not effect driving preformance of the engine in any way once it is partially warmed up. On the 1.6s they are strictly a starting aid.

If the fuel pump is original it certainly could be suspect, however since this all occured after a fuel fitler change, as mentioned above, was it prefilled? Also, when the car is running do you see air bubbles being drawn into the pump?
Tyler

Reply #5May 06, 2008, 11:57:40 pm

Hermann

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 11:57:40 pm »
Mal,

I am new to the world of this forum but am a long in the tooth VW owner. Particularly those Dubs that are old fashioned injected and normally aspirated (non turbo).

I would check timing of the pump. The last head gasket/timing belt/glow plug change I did I must have let the belt slip a tooth on the pump and when I went to fire it up the old boy wouldn't behave correctly.  :x

It does not take much sometimes. So I had to check the timing on the pump and as it turns out I had retarded the timing quite significantly. Apparently a moment of inattention! :oops:

Good luck.
Failure to plan on your part does not constitute and emergency on mine.

S-PAutomotive.com