S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Is it worth it?  (Read 5312 times)

April 30, 2005, 01:08:56 pm

watsongs

• Junior

Is it worth it?
« on: April 30, 2005, 01:08:56 pm »
I managed to sneak the rabbit (79 1.5 n/a 2-door, currently unlicensed) down the street to the local machine shop where Gustaaf, straight out of the Fatherland, works.  He looked over the car, and gave me the following diagnostics:  

- it needs a new head gasket for sure - oil in the coolant, steam when you open the oil cap on the valve cover, and the valves need some serious adjustment

- the injector pump needs some work, there's no fuel coming out the return lines of the injectors or the main return line (but I can push some through by the primer bulb I installed)

- the tranny rattles at idle with the clutch out and in neutral, he said sommething about the bearings; I'm going to check the fluid level today -

- the alternator mount is a steel one that is slightly bent; he suggested replacing it with a cast iron mount that's available -

- he wasn't sure about the water pump; hard to tell over the racket of the tranny

- by the amount of blue smoke, it probably needs rings, or it could just be from the head gasket

and then there's the electrical - there's apparently an overload relay that it looks like I'm missing; that's why the wipers, blower motor, and rear defroster don't work, among others.

So my question is, given that I've spent $300 on the car, another $125 or so in parts, and given the expense of the above items, doing as much as I can by myself, is it worth it?  I also have work on the house that needs to get done, and I'd like to do some relaxing over the summer and go sailing after work and on the days off where the weather permits.  On the other hand, it's an opportunity for learning, and I really want to start making some biodiesel, but without a diesel vehicle to put it in it doesn't make much sense.  And of course, there's limited funds until my wife gets a job, and even then there's a lot that's competing with that money, mainly the house (attic/back room renovation).

So, what do you think?  Go ahead and do it, or sell it and look for a better prospect, one that's newer and running and will do 70 on the highway so I can take the occasional 1 1/2 hour trip to  Seattle without getting run down by a semi?  Any thoughts or input are greatly appreciated.

Greg Watson
'79 Rabbit, 1.5 liters of fun...
If they can get you to ask the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers...

Reply #1April 30, 2005, 01:37:04 pm

vwmike

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

Is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2005, 01:37:04 pm »
That's a pretty long list of stuff to get fixed. I would say your best bet is either to sell it and get something else as you suggested, or find yourself a parts car. All of that stuff would cost a fortune to fix if you were to replace it with all new parts.

Reply #2April 30, 2005, 03:09:29 pm

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

Is it worth it?
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2005, 03:09:29 pm »
if it were me, and the rabbit's body was good, I'd fix it. most if not all of the stuff you've listed would be taken car of by a TD swap from a different car. 1.5's suck anyway.
I repair, maintain and modify VW's and BMW's.
Good work done at affordable rates. Welding and fabricating, too.
Performance Diesel Injection's Super Pump: gotta have one!

Reply #3April 30, 2005, 03:31:42 pm

watsongs

• Junior

Is it worth it?
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2005, 03:31:42 pm »
I hear you on the swap, but I don't know where I can find a used one in my area (90 minutes north of seattle).  I have acccess to a marine vw block (unsure of displ) that might only need a head gasket, but then again, there's the rest of the stuff - wireing, tranny, etc.
Greg Watson
'79 Rabbit, 1.5 liters of fun...
If they can get you to ask the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers...

Reply #4April 30, 2005, 05:15:58 pm

Staley

• Junior

• http://www.bartuning.com
Is it worth it?
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2005, 05:15:58 pm »
Early Rabbits are as easy as they come to work on.
If you really have a close look you will notice the same thing.
get you a service/repair book and do the work by yourself.

You will have a great feeling of accomplishment if you do it!
source all the parts on-line from german auto parts and autoparts authority and other places like that

BUT be careful..
these darn A1 diesels are ADDICTIVE
before you know it.. you have spent $50 bucks on a trashed car
then stripped it, painted it inside and out.. replaced the engine and alternator and ac and crap like that, recovered the seats
replaced the 4 speed with a diesel 5 speed and new clutch
and all new hoses and new injection pump and lines, new mounts
and and and and
then you find yourself looking at turbos
so you buy one and ARGH!
I guess all this will end when I die!

ENJOY!
later
mike
Houston's APR Distributor
www.bartuning.com

Reply #5May 01, 2005, 08:55:27 am

chrissev

• Veteran

Re: Is it worth it?
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2005, 08:55:27 am »
Quote from: "watsongs"
I managed to sneak the rabbit (79 1.5 n/a 2-door, currently unlicensed) down the street to the local machine shop where Gustaaf, straight out of the Fatherland, works.  He looked over the car, and gave me the following diagnostics:  

- it needs a new head gasket for sure - oil in the coolant, steam when you open the oil cap on the valve cover, and the valves need some serious adjustment

Get rid of the 1.5.  They are horrible little engines.  They have no power, they go through head gaskets like babies go through pampers, and the mechanical valves will be a pain to adjust every 20,000km.  You need to find either a 1.6 or a 1.6TD.  It is not that hard to do.  You might need to get it shipped from somewhere but it is worth the trouble.  There is a 1.6 N/A rabbit with a good rebuilt engine in it (but a rusted up body) being sold about 20 minutes from where I live right now for $500 CDN.  We have lots of them up here with destroyed bodys (lots of road salt in Toronto) and good engines.  Why not take a trip to Canada and drive one back?

- the injector pump needs some work, there's no fuel coming out the return lines of the injectors or the main return line (but I can push some through by the primer bulb I installed)

If you find a good 1.6 diesel hopefully it will come with a pump.  If not you can get a rebuilt one for around $350 US from vwdieselparts.com

- the tranny rattles at idle with the clutch out and in neutral, he said sommething about the bearings; I'm going to check the fluid level today -

If it's a four speed, it will be the horrible GC with the .97 fourth gear.  Get rid of it.  They're not worth fixing.  Get yourself a 3+E or do a five speed conversion.  

- the alternator mount is a steel one that is slightly bent; he suggested replacing it with a cast iron mount that's available -

replace it.  The early A1 alternator brackets were very unreliable.  If yours isn't broken yet, it will be.

- he wasn't sure about the water pump; hard to tell over the racket of the tranny

they cost around $60.  I have one here I could sell you for $10 + shipping.  Just ask.  

- by the amount of blue smoke, it probably needs rings, or it could just be from the head gasket

like I said, get rid of that engine.  The 1.5 diesel was one of VW's biggest mistakes.  They redeemed themselves with the 1.6 diesel.

and then there's the electrical - there's apparently an overload relay that it looks like I'm missing; that's why the wipers, blower motor, and rear defroster don't work, among others.

I believe there's about 6 relays on that car.  All are readily available from junked cars in scrapyards.  Just pull one and stick it in your car.  Probably the fuse box will be all wet.  Try and dry it out with wd-40 and cover it with some thick plastic.
88 Jetta TD....sold for $1000, bought an 06 Cobalt, clearing out the diesel jetta stuff now

Reply #6May 01, 2005, 09:20:57 am

Staley

• Junior

• http://www.bartuning.com
Is it worth it?
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2005, 09:20:57 am »
^
^
^
^
^
^