Author Topic: Pics after nozzle install  (Read 5330 times)

April 28, 2005, 01:58:41 am

autobahn

Pics after nozzle install
« on: April 28, 2005, 01:58:41 am »
edit: THIS IS NOT A REVIEW OF "Smog"s NOZZLES. I won't do that until my car is running right and if I remember what it ran like before.
I got the nozzles from Smog installed today in my 96 1.9td. There's links to the big versions if you want them.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/zimbobwee/IMG_0557.JPG

http://www.members.shaw.ca/zimbobwee/IMG_0558.JPG

http://www.members.shaw.ca/zimbobwee/IMG_0559.JPG

http://www.members.shaw.ca/zimbobwee/IMG_0560.JPG

http://www.members.shaw.ca/zimbobwee/IMG_0561.JPG[/url]

Reply #1April 28, 2005, 09:19:13 am

VWRacer

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 09:19:13 am »
Well, how does it run?  8)
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #2April 28, 2005, 10:13:20 am

autobahn

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 10:13:20 am »
i'd love to give a glowing report but that would be false. i think this procedure possibly opened a can of worms. the good news is i do notice that acceleration is smoother and maybe quieter. bad news is tha now my boost guage doesn't work and my egt's went through the roof. i noticed this a few minutes after i left so i went back and we checked the boost lines to the turbo and aneroid and they seem fine. i'm going back today and the mech will hook up his guage and we'll take it for a spin to verify. i'd like to know if i was just under the mistaken impression that my egt's would be slightly lower with the new nozzles. in the back of my mind i'm considering the fact that my turbo took another turn for the worse as i know it's on its' last legs.

Reply #3April 28, 2005, 01:03:20 pm

Smog

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 01:03:20 pm »
Quote from: "autobahn"
i'd love to give a glowing report but that would be false. i think this procedure possibly opened a can of worms. the good news is i do notice that acceleration is smoother and maybe quieter. bad news is tha now my boost guage doesn't work and my egt's went through the roof. i noticed this a few minutes after i left so i went back and we checked the boost lines to the turbo and aneroid and they seem fine. i'm going back today and the mech will hook up his guage and we'll take it for a spin to verify. i'd like to know if i was just under the mistaken impression that my egt's would be slightly lower with the new nozzles. in the back of my mind i'm considering the fact that my turbo took another turn for the worse as i know it's on its' last legs.

EGT can't go to the roof without smoking like hell; check wirings and tubing for the turbo gauge.

bad timing can also lead to high EGT
www.VEG-Injection-Service.com

1.6GTD nozzles (RA/SB )
1.9TD nozzles (AAZ )
0.205mm or 0.216mm TDI nozzles
TDI injection pump seal kit  
IDI Pump shaft seal

Reply #4April 28, 2005, 08:06:18 pm

autobahn

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 08:06:18 pm »
went through a few things today.
boost guage works fine...i actually wished that was the problem
1st gear: starts spooling to about 10psi then drops to 0 as the rpms keep increasing
all other gears: no boost except every once in a while 2nd performs like 1st does.
i was told my pump won't provide as much fuel with no boost so that would explain not too much smoke under full throttle.
i shouldn't say the egt was 'through the roof' but just normal driving put it at 1000 in the downpipe and it never used to go over 700 unless i was pushing it.
my friend and i concluded that the wastegate is messed up but that doesn't sit well if my next info is correct.
the wstgte is activated and opens with boost pressure but i had the same boost performance, previously described, when i disconnected the tube to the wastegate.
so all i can say is there's definitely a problem and i think it's just a fluke that it happened when the new nozzles went in.

Reply #5April 28, 2005, 08:08:20 pm

autobahn

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2005, 08:08:20 pm »
Quote from: "Smog"

EGT can't go to the roof without smoking like hell; check wirings and tubing for the turbo gauge.

bad timing can also lead to high EGT

advanced or retarded?

Reply #6April 28, 2005, 09:56:19 pm

QuickTD

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005, 09:56:19 pm »
advanced or retarded?

Retarded, but doubtful thats the problem. I would check the wastegate vacuum changover valve and the switch on the top of the pump. A simple test would be to pull the smaller of the 2 hoses off the wastegate actuator and go for a drive, I have a feeling it'll run a whole lot better. Let us know how it turns out.

Reply #7April 28, 2005, 09:59:33 pm

QuickTD

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2005, 09:59:33 pm »
Actually i just looked closely at your pictures and noticed something out of place. The connector for the switch on top of the pump appears to be not seated all the way. You might want to plug it in properly, it could be the source of your problem.

Reply #8April 29, 2005, 12:44:01 am

autobahn

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 12:44:01 am »
Quote from: "QuickTD"
Actually i just looked closely at your pictures and noticed something out of place. The connector for the switch on top of the pump appears to be not seated all the way. You might want to plug it in properly, it could be the source of your problem.

[rushing back in from plugging it in and small test drive]
YOU ROCK!!! I am 'straight' as a ruler but if you were here I'd be giving you a big hug right now.
Can't say I'm very impressed with the shop but I guess these things happen.
I will be going back to point it out only because I never want someone to have to worry all day about it like I did and also because he said "We are one of the top 3 fuel injection places in Canada and the BEST west of Winnipeg." :twisted:

Reply #9April 29, 2005, 02:06:48 am

DVST8R

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2005, 02:06:48 am »
NW fuel???

I just installed my GTD injectors in my car last night, and they were so good that they promptly blew the turbo! So i spent the morning tracking down a turbo and the rest of the day installing it. These injectors are smooth lots of power and smoke!! I need a second turbo bad, hopefully when I return. My injectors were setup for 160BAR by Justin at BD performance (valley fuel injection) So far I am very impressed I leave for a 10hr trip tomarrow so we will se how they are with some driving.

Sorry for the hijack.
The Brett of the board...

The Dark Side of Beauty.[/i]

Reply #10April 29, 2005, 02:23:48 am

autobahn

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2005, 02:23:48 am »
yes it is nw fuel
[more hijack]
Track down a 1.6L TD manifold for me!!
...please  :)
[/end more hijack]

Reply #11April 29, 2005, 02:37:15 am

DVST8R

• Veteran

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2005, 02:37:15 am »
Found one at Gordon's VW, talk to erik and tell him the Jose sent you and he will hook you up with a deal. Don't know what the price is though I didn't think to ask.

"Edit: or if you can wait for the end of may, I am going to start construction of my twin setup when I return from this trip. Which will include a custom turbo header. Then you can have mine for like $10.00"
The Brett of the board...

The Dark Side of Beauty.[/i]

Reply #12April 29, 2005, 02:53:00 am

autobahn

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2005, 02:53:00 am »
i am a happy man

Reply #13April 30, 2005, 05:52:16 am

Smog

• Junior

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2005, 05:52:16 am »