Author Topic: Cluster issues...HELP!  (Read 2542 times)

April 19, 2008, 04:38:20 pm

The Mad Hatter

• Junior

Cluster issues...HELP!
« on: April 19, 2008, 04:38:20 pm »
Ok, this might actually be a cluster%&$#, but i digress.

I recently purchased an instrument cluster for my 85 diesel Golf.  I wanted to upgrade to a tach.  In my infinite stupidity, i did not pull out my cluster to make sure that the new one would interchange, and guess what!  It doesn't.  Here's what i've got:

This is the cluster from my car...

and its connector.

THIS is my new cluster...

and its connector.

I intended to swap my original speedo over to the tach cluster, BUT, the connectors are different on the tach/clock side.  I didn't think that this new cluster was a CE2 since the glow plug light was on the top row of LEDs.  

OK, so what to do?  I'm gonna have to put the original cluster back in the car tomorrow unless someone has a solution!  I'm a total Newbie when it comes to these VW's.   Thanks so much in advance for help!

Reply #1April 20, 2008, 12:47:59 am

Op-Ivy

• Veteran

Cluster issues...HELP!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 12:47:59 am »
CE1 has two connections. On cars up to '89 I believe.
CE2 has one. On mk2's after '89.5.

You could try rewiring it with this website. It has the pinouts of both CE1 and 2.

http://www.a2resource.com/electrical/electrical.html
1990 TD Jetta - 490,000Km

Reply #2April 22, 2008, 08:41:24 am

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

Cluster issues...HELP!
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 08:41:24 am »
easiest thing is to use a CE1 tach cluster, if you can find one. i have a spare CE1 cluster but it has a clock like your's. i only ever find CE2 tach clusters kicking around but there have to be CE1s out there.

otherwise you could get the connector for the CE2 tach, then splice wires using the link Op-Ivy provided, and/or wiring diagrams.

S-PAutomotive.com