Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Ventectomy, expansion chamber question  (Read 2463 times)

April 22, 2005, 06:07:26 am

srivett

• Veteran

Ventectomy, expansion chamber question
« on: April 22, 2005, 06:07:26 am »
Can anybody give a brief description on what is needed to keep the expansion chamber vent open at all times on a Mark II?  I can reach a plastic knob in the wheel well of my car so I suspect it should be pretty easy to do but I don't want to do it wrong and risk leaking diesel fuel on my driveway.

There's no need for the expansion chamber in my mind, the fuel is already filling the tank with foam so you can not get too much in there.

Thanks, Steve

1992 1.6D Golf - 412K km
Mint except for chipped paint, no rust :)

Reply #1April 22, 2005, 06:55:19 am

chrissev

• Veteran

Re: Ventectomy, expansion chamber question
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 06:55:19 am »
Quote from: "srivett"
Can anybody give a brief description on what is needed to keep the expansion chamber vent open at all times on a Mark II?  I can reach a plastic knob in the wheel well of my car so I suspect it should be pretty easy to do but I don't want to do it wrong and risk leaking diesel fuel on my driveway.

There's no need for the expansion chamber in my mind, the fuel is already filling the tank with foam so you can not get too much in there.

Thanks, Steve

I've never seen an expansion chamber on a diesel.  Do they have them?  Always thought the pump just sucked fuel directly from the tank, through the separator.
88 Jetta TD....sold for $1000, bought an 06 Cobalt, clearing out the diesel jetta stuff now

Reply #2April 22, 2005, 07:00:32 am

srivett

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 07:00:32 am »
Take a look in the filler neck.  Up at the top there is a black button that gets pushed in by the gascap.  If you push that button with the fuel nozzle after filling the tank you will hear a bit of slurping and you'll be able to put in another 100-150 km worth of fuel. :) :) :)

Steve
1992 1.6D Golf - 412K km
Mint except for chipped paint, no rust :)

Reply #3April 22, 2005, 09:09:00 am

VWRacer

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2005, 09:09:00 am »
On TDIs one can access a couple of torx screws inside the filler lid. Removing those screws allows one to rotate the burp-valve out of position and then remove it via the fender. Took me about 3 minutes to remove the one from my TDI. I don't know if that is the exact procedure for a Mk2, but even if not it will be very similar.
Stan
C-Sports Racer

S-PAutomotive.com