Author Topic: Diesel K Car?  (Read 3758 times)

March 28, 2008, 10:50:25 pm

moldyoldy

Diesel K Car?
« on: March 28, 2008, 10:50:25 pm »
Any one ever think of taking an old LeBaron, Reliant or Aries "K" car and dieselizing it? Was wondering how tough it would be - the older Omni/Horizons had VW sourced motors, just wondering if Chrysler totally redesigned the front ends for the K cars, or kept the basic setup and stuck a different body out back to create the K car?  One of my neighbors has an old Chrysler Town & Country wagon with the 2.2 and a blown head. Body & interior are immaculate, he's using the blown head as his excuse to jump into something new. Basically, if I want the car, it's mine - but before I get involved, I was hoping someone would have some feedback!  I've seen a couple Rabbit diesels with automatics, going with an automatic would probably make the swap a bit easier, as the Chrysler is an automatic. Thanks in advance for any help!

Reply #1April 01, 2008, 09:21:20 am

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

Diesel K Car?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 09:21:20 am »
Sorry but I can't even think of K-car's without thinking about the Red Green Show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-JhnIcZ6UQ

:D

Brendan
81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green

Reply #2July 06, 2008, 10:57:09 pm

Giles@PerformanceDiesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Junior

• http://www.performancediesel.ca
YouTube video
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 10:57:09 pm »
hey

i saw on youtube a guy that put a VW diesel in the Dodge Voyager
van from the 80's, try a search on engine transplant VW

Giles

Reply #3July 22, 2008, 07:06:22 pm

bevboyy

• Junior

Diesel K Car?
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 07:06:22 pm »
If memory serves me correctly, these first gen FWD Chryslers were originally equipped with VW sourced engines. Up to '80 if I am not mistaken...could be done.
1987 Jetta Mk2 - daily driver, MZ 1.8 goodness. TJ auto trans..

Gone but not forgotten:
1985 Mercedes 300d Turbo
1987 Olds Delta 88 Royal Brougham
1992 Mercedes 190e 2.3
1984 Mercedes 190e
1983 Quantum TD
1992 Jetta TD
1983 BMW 533i
1982 BMW 320iS
1979 Mercedes 300D (non turbo)
1977 BMW

Reply #4July 31, 2008, 05:38:42 pm

Infinitrium

• Junior

Diesel K Car?
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 05:38:42 pm »
From the allpar.com article on the Horizon/Omni:

"Originally, a 2.0 liter four-cylinder was created by Chrysler for use in the new car; and while this was being engineered, negotiations were started with Volkswagen to adapt their existing Rabbit engine to Chrysler’s needs. This involved a power boost, handled by expanding from 1.5 to 1.7 liters, and modifications to fit in the engine bay; minor changes were made to the block to accommodate the longer stroke and to attach the A404 automatic transmission. Engine dressing was very different from the Rabbit due to differences in the engine compartment; Chrysler used its own intake and exhaust manifolds, engine mounts, and fuel delivery. As a result, Volkswagen merely shipped “short engines” to the Trenton Assembly plant, which dressed the engines, adding even timing belts and sprockets. The engines produced 75 hp at launch, backed up by 90 lb-ft of torque (in California both numbers were lower), for sprightly acceleration with a manual transmission and acceptable automatic performance.

The 1.7 liter engine used an iron block with aluminum heads; valves were powered by a single overhead cam that used shims to adjust valve lash. There were five main journals on the forged-steel crankshaft; the timing belt drove the cam and an auxiliary shaft for the oil pump and distributor. A two-barrel carburetor was used, as was an electric fan. Emissions were aided by an air pump. The Omni and Horizon launched in the United States in January 1978 and were instant sales successes, despite the failure of prior European imports, due to the Americanization efforts and local manufacturing. Based on their success, Chrysler created the TC3 and O24 models, both using the 1.7 liter engine at first.

Over one million Volkswagen engines made their way into Chrysler Corporation vehicles by 1981; however, 1983 was the last year for both these and the Simca engines that were used on lower-end models. From 1984 onwards, it was 2.2 liters across the board — with or without turbochargers. "

"While engineering started early on the 2-liter four-cylinder engine, capital was needed to create the Horizon itself, and the Volkswagen engines released some of the time pressures; so Chrysler was able not only to take more time, but also to get a close look at how the Volkswagen engines performed in American driving conditions and to learn from their engineering. This engine was expanded to 2.2 liters, and was set up differently from the Volkswagen motors in numerous ways; however, they also moved from the Simcas. The famous 2.2 liter engines arrived, at last, in 1981, with 81 horsepower, as an option for the Omni/Horizon and TC3/O24; with substantially more torque, they were much zippier and only a little worse on gas."

Reply #5August 01, 2008, 05:27:48 pm

clbanman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Cambridge, Ontario
Diesel K Car?
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 05:27:48 pm »
Calvin
91 VW Golf 1.6NA 5spd