Author Topic: 1.6TD and 1.9TD KKK turbo specs? (JX and AAZ Engines)  (Read 12071 times)

April 15, 2005, 02:13:21 pm

Baxter

1.6TD and 1.9TD KKK turbo specs? (JX and AAZ Engines)
« on: April 15, 2005, 02:13:21 pm »
Now then.
Im just in the process of doing an engine swap for a customer in a VW T3 (Vanagon, Transporter, Type 25, whatever).
I am removing a 1.6l TD JX engine and replacing with a 1.9l TD AAZ motor.
Looking at the turbo's they look very similar except for the fact the the housings point in different directions.
To use the AAZ in the T3 I could do with using the JX exhaust manifold as the exit for the turbo is adjacent to number 4 cylinder, the manifold on the AAZ supplied has the exit between 3 and 4.
Does anyone know the specs of the 2 turbos and if they are interchangeable between engines as it would save me some work and the job would b a lot neater if I could just bolt it up rather than mess about welding pieces of exhaust together as in the fuure the customer can just use off the shelf parts, as he intends to use it in Europe quite a bit.
Can anyone see any obious problems I am likely to encounter?
Port shapes etc, I've got bothe engines on the floor, not got very far with stripping them yet!

Reply #1April 15, 2005, 07:39:57 pm

Otis2

• Junior

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 07:39:57 pm »
I recalled this being discussed on the "old" GTD forum, where someone doing a T3 engine swap wanted to see what 1.6 pieces would fit the 1.9.

Check here:  http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4037&t=535

"Quick TD" wrote,

The 1.6TD pump and bracket will fit, and will provide adequate fueling. The 1.6 injectors will also fit and should work fine. The only real physical differences between the engines is the deck height (1.9 is 16mm? taller) and the intake ports have a different shape. The 1.6 intake will bolt up but the port holes don't match exactly. Not sure if a bit of grinding will make it work? Exhaust manifold from a 1.6 will bolt up and the ports will match.

Reply #2April 15, 2005, 10:31:02 pm

janb

• Junior

Re: 1.6TD and 1.9TD KKK turbo specs? (JX and AAZ Engines)
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 10:31:02 pm »
Quote from: "Mr Brick-Yard"
Can anyone see any obious problems I am likely to encounter?
Port shapes etc, I've got bothe engines on the floor, not got very far with stripping them yet!

intake ports are taller "D" on 1.9, and it requires welding and machining for a 1.6 manifold to mate.  There are 'adapters available, http://www.overlandparts.com/dealerlist.htm

or you can use a 1.6 (HYD) head.
The Stealth Rabbit
VW-d's are forever

Reply #3April 16, 2005, 12:57:07 pm

Baxter

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2005, 12:57:07 pm »
Done most of it today.
Once stripped it was obvious that the exhaust manifold was the same, so I swapped about the AAZ turbo to fit the manifold.
The turbo's look the same apart from the AAZ one is upside down for the oil feed, and the angle at which the solid metal pipe for the waste gate actuator, so a bit of spanner grinding saw me altering the attitude of the turbo.
I want to try to keep this as bolt together as possible, as I mentioned before, doing it this way I can use a stock T3 (Vanagon) Turbo Diesel exhaust.
The compressor outlet now points in the wrong direction, but this is easy to overcome and the customer wants me to fit an intercooler anyway.

How easy is it to swap pump tops? the AAZ pump I have has the upright LDA, while the T3 (Vanagon) has the LDA laid on its side or the clearance of the engine lid.
Is there any disadvantage of using the T3 LDA?

Fixmyvw.com