S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Sway Bar bushings  (Read 2247 times)

April 12, 2005, 11:42:06 pm

1985JettaTD

Sway Bar bushings
« on: April 12, 2005, 11:42:06 pm »
the swaybar bushings on gone on my car and it is time to change them. i just wanted to know if the swaybar is under tension or anything. me or my dad have never changed the bushings and know nothing about them. any info or tips that anyone has would be a great help.  this is something i would go to bentley for but i can find any info in it for the sway or stablizer bars. thanks for all the help!

Reply #1April 13, 2005, 05:32:05 am

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

Sway Bar bushings
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 05:32:05 am »
Quote from: "Sharkey"
If the car is sitting on level ground, or it is resting on jackstands, etc, there should be little or no tension on sway bars. The only time they carry torque is when one wheel on an axle is higher or lower than it's mate, or the body of the car is leaning one way or the other.

Recently bought some for my 'Q'... worked out cheaper than my heatshields per item :shock:  Quite hard to put on and get the bolt in. Strange how the new brackets are very slightly bigger [longer] than the originals :?: Still needed 'Mole grips' :lol:
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #2April 14, 2005, 10:51:26 am

Bejammin

These are the culprits, I think...
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 10:51:26 am »
I've got a heavy 'clunking' noise going over bumps.  I believe that these are the culprits - was thinking about polyurethane bushings, but I think can live WITHOUT any more vibration in the passenger compartment.  

My suspension needs some serious work, but I think I'll replace these immediately, new struts and springs when I have the cash.

Fixmyvw.com