Author Topic: Do Injecters ever go bad+easiest way to remove  (Read 6049 times)

March 07, 2008, 10:55:55 am

James8485

• Junior

Do Injecters ever go bad+easiest way to remove
« on: March 07, 2008, 10:55:55 am »
i am overhauling my motor and the head is off and the guys who rebuilding it says that injecter almost never go bad....he wouldnt condem an injecter. he also said that if they dont come out easy then you could risk cracking the head where they screw into.....
any thoughts as my heasd is off and they look pretty old but my injection pump is also getting rebuilt so dont need one to be bad! anyway to test in the head> or tips on getting them out

---------James--------

Reply #1March 07, 2008, 11:18:25 am

Turbinepowered

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 11:18:25 am »
Injector nozzles do have a design lifespan and should be replaced as part of normal maintenance. I think the interval on replacement is something like every 60k miles.

Reply #2March 07, 2008, 11:18:28 am

CoolAirVw

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 11:18:28 am »
removing stuck injectors can break the head.  

I think using an impact gun is the best way because all the force is exerted in a twisting motion.  

Using a breaker bar some of the force is exerted into the head.   Libbybapa says... "always push the breaker bar torward the head", because if you push away from the head there is no support and the front part of the head might crack out away from the head.  

IF you guy is surfacing your head you really need to remove the injectors.
85 Jetta Turbo Diesel
75 Porsche 914
93 GMC Truck
99 Caravan <--wifes gotta drive something :)

Reply #3March 07, 2008, 11:19:19 am

jimfoo

• Veteran

• http://www.66rover.com
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 11:19:19 am »
Of course they can go bad, nothing lasts forever. In fact, I believe that it is recommended to replace the nozzles every 40-60k miles. They can get worn, they can get dirty or coked up. If the spray pattern gets bad enough, it can actually ruin your engine by melting parts from a poorly atomized stream causing an excessively rich burn and high temps. At the very least, they will start to affect power and mileage.. You do have to be careful removing them. It is best to do with the engine warm. Either way, push your wrench/socket towards the head, don't pull it away from it. Loosen a partial turn, tighten just a little and repeat, kind of like cutting threads. Penetrating oil will help as well.
Jim
1966 Land-Rover 88" with 1.9 1Z which has been transformed to an M-TDI
TFO35 mechanically controlled VNT, IC , and 2.5" exhaust.
Driven daily

Reply #4March 07, 2008, 01:37:13 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 01:37:13 pm »
I heard that using a t-bar works good 'cause, like the impact wrench there is no side load.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #5March 07, 2008, 07:01:37 pm

dillenger1

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 07:01:37 pm »
Impact gun is not good!It will crack the boss if their is "any" corrosion.
Cummins 4bta- 85 dodge prospector short bed
28 mpg!!and i can pull down a house!
1.6td in toyota pickup
10mm head ,t3 intercooled.

Reply #6March 07, 2008, 08:31:53 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 08:31:53 pm »
I've used both impact and breaker bars and I prefer the breaker bar simply because you can feel what is going on. Moving it back and forth many times before trying to remove the injector helps free it a lot. Penetrating lube is highly recommended. If the head is on a bench an impact would be a lot easier.

It sounds like this guy doesn't know how to remove injectors so I wouldn't ask him to.

At the very least if you are getting the pump rebuilt you should have the injectors tested.

As mentioned they are only good for about 60k miles (100k kms)
Tyler

Reply #7March 08, 2008, 07:19:11 am

dillenger1

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 07:19:11 am »
Sorry,just telling my experience :? If the injectors havent been changed in awhile ,and no no- seize is on the thread then i think its best to soak them for a couple days prior :D
Cummins 4bta- 85 dodge prospector short bed
28 mpg!!and i can pull down a house!
1.6td in toyota pickup
10mm head ,t3 intercooled.

Reply #8March 08, 2008, 08:43:35 am

burnt_servo

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 08:43:35 am »
what happens after 100,000 k ? .....

seriously ,
i've seen many engines with up to 5 times that many miles , with nothing more than oil changes , and the odd timing belt . and they run very well
1990 jetta , tweaked pump , tweaked turbo , ported head  2.5inch exhaust .

1993 dodge w250 , diesel ... removing the dead moose parts .

Reply #9March 08, 2008, 10:55:58 am

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 10:55:58 am »
The breaking pressure also wears and the injectors open earlier. Also, they usually all don't wear uniformly so you'll be stressing out the engine by unbalanced loads in the cylinders
Tyler

Reply #10July 21, 2011, 12:55:26 pm

guy plain

• Junior

Re: Do Injecters ever go bad+easiest way to remove
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 12:55:26 pm »
 any one know the size of socket needed for the injecters?
 at one shop here they had an injecter stick open while under load...it was like a blow torch...washed out the side of the cylnder and piston...that was in a international tow truck tho lol

Reply #11July 21, 2011, 01:57:10 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 01:57:10 pm »
i am overhauling my motor and the head is off and the guys who rebuilding it says that injecter almost never go bad....he wouldnt condem an injecter. he also said that if they dont come out easy then you could risk cracking the head where they screw into.....
any thoughts as my heasd is off and they look pretty old but my injection pump is also getting rebuilt so dont need one to be bad! anyway to test in the head> or tips on getting them out

To remove clamp the head on something secure, and maybe have someone hold it. Depending how corroded they seem, they may need pre-soaking. 

Use a 'T' bar +1ft extension and swivel joint to prevent any leverage. If still tight after moving a little, then act like you are cutting a thread.Add more lube too. Use a pneumatic nut remover [wrench] with care...

The injectors are 27mm. However some sockets are a little tight inside and can damage the two barbs.
I overcame this by accident with the purchase of a 28mm socket, and I filled the gap up with an insert of baked bean tin 8)

Injectors do wear, however, an old nozzle may have started from a better position of quality than a new one. Break pressures do lower over time as they settle in.
However, good zozzles may over time become great nozzles which only slowly taper off in quality.
Once you have you injectors out , if they can be checked then they may still be good, or if spray pattern skewed, merely dirty. 

You are looking for similarity of spray pattern, non dribbling for say 30 seconds pressure test, and similar break pressure within 5bar, or nicer within 2bar Absolutely identical spray performance is not essential, as with the IDI   swirl chamber the spray droplets are sheared and mixed by the swirling....
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #12July 21, 2011, 02:00:29 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 02:00:29 pm »
any one know the size of socket needed for the injecters?

I bought a provalue 1 1/16" socket that works good, make sure it's big enough inside to clear the return barbs.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #13July 21, 2011, 02:50:36 pm

guy plain

• Junior

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 02:50:36 pm »
 thanks for that.....i have a leaking one on a engine i just bought....see if it just needs to be tightened a bit...if not il pull the ones from my old engine....those where fairly new...so if they are hard as hell to turn you just work them in and out? is that carbon in the threads?

Reply #14July 21, 2011, 05:09:49 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 05:09:49 pm »
i use an impact i think its safer than a breaker bar because of how u apply torque, but i'm no engineer or anything.  i always put it on the lowest setting too.

i have always heard to change them every 100,000 miles

bad injectors can leak, or put too much fuel in, causing over heating in that cylinder which can eat away at the pistons and head and also crack the head, warp the valves.  they can really do a lot of damage and are nothing to over look
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit