Author Topic: why not to buy a spec clutch  (Read 1666 times)

March 05, 2008, 05:30:46 am

the4ork

• Veteran

why not to buy a spec clutch
« on: March 05, 2008, 05:30:46 am »
this is out of my mk2 1.8t swap /w the standard 020 transmission (with some work done to it)

engine is stock except for the 3" down pipe and standalone system with about 3k miles on it and it did this to a clutch kit rated at 305ft lbs of torque, when i have maybe 200 @ 8psi (non inter cooled at the moment)

EDIT: BTW this happened on the highway at about 70 mph cruising at a constant speed, not even accelerating or shifting or anything...

and i always BABIED it in fear of busting my tranny :(

Reply #1March 05, 2008, 11:44:14 am

myke_w

• Veteran

why not to buy a spec clutch
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 11:44:14 am »
wow, that thing looks like it had very little wear on it..

I'd guess a stock clutch would have done more miles than that..
Contact me for hard to find for idi and tdi parts

Reply #2March 05, 2008, 11:19:09 pm

CoolAirVw

• Junior

Re: why not to buy a spec clutch
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 11:19:09 pm »
Quote from: "the4ork"
engine is stock except for the 3" down pipe and standalone system with about 3k miles on it and it did this to a clutch kit rated at 305ft lbs of torque, when i have maybe 200 @ 8psi (non inter cooled at the moment)

EDIT: BTW this happened on the highway at about 70 mph cruising at a constant speed, not even accelerating or shifting or anything...

and i always BABIED it in fear of busting my tranny :(

This type of failure looks like abuse.  The tell tale sign would be looking at the "stops" in the dampner.  If the dampner compressed all the way at some point the "stops" would have hit and you could see witness marks on the "stops" if thats the case.  Dampner moving all the way contacting the stops is Hard accel or "popping" the clutch or downshifting too many gears at once overspinning the clutch and then jerking the dampner to the stops when you let out on the clutch.  (ie trying to make power at highway speed by grabbing 3rd)

I see clutches like this all the time and the story usually goes something like this, "My 16 year old son drives the car, but he drives real easy and always "babies" the car.   :roll:

If it  looks  like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, its probably a duck.  

Note: the fact that it happened on the highway doesnt mean the damage wasn't done some other time and then it finally "gave up the ghost" later.

NOTE:  I'm just stating what is the obvious conclusion based on my experience. (transmission repairman for 21 years).  This is not an attack against you or your driving habits.
85 Jetta Turbo Diesel
75 Porsche 914
93 GMC Truck
99 Caravan <--wifes gotta drive something :)

S-PAutomotive.com